MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussion

Special prosecutor?

Started May-13 by HWPeeler (HPeeler); 246 views.
HWPeeler (HPeeler)

May-13

What can a special prosecutor do that the FBI can not?

MochaSofa

May-13

No idea, you tell me!!!

I'm not American, but I want to share about Canada, we got the RCPM - Royal Canadian Mounted Police.

From financial criminals, terrorists to dangerous homicide murderers.

MUGSHOTS

www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/wanted

stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes

HWPeeler (HPeeler)

May-13

In Canada could an individual launch an investigation without the use of the RCMP?

Assigning a Special Prosecutor suggests the FBI would be impartial in investigating a president who is in charge of the FBI. But the SP must still rely on the FBI for investigating, so the SP is redundant.

Cstar1
Staff

May-14

HWPeeler (HPeeler) said:

What can a special prosecutor do that the FBI can not?

Different functions really, but a special prosecutor is appointed when an investigation may be compromised politically. Must be a lawyer from outside the government, is overseen by a panel of 3 federal judges, and is not subject to day to day oversight by the Justice Dept. This article explains some of it. 

Cstar1
Staff

May-14

In reply toRe: msg 5
HWPeeler (HPeeler)

May-14

Isn't it difficult to charge the POTUS with a crime? He has to be impeached first?

RGoss99

May-16

For one thing, it is harder for president and politicians to fire a special prosecutor, when he discovers facts make them look guilty?

HWPeeler (HPeeler)

May-16

Yes, I can understand that. My question is what can a Special Prosecutor do that the FBI can not. How limited are his resources compared to those of the FBI? Does he typically use the FBI's reports, just comes to his own conclusions?

HWPeeler (HPeeler)

May-17

So it is a no confidence vote in the FBI but must rely on the FBI for investigations? Why do they think a different conclusion can be reached?

I can see how Trump can try to replace the head of the FBI with somebody loyal to him instead of the constitution. I can see how he might get this through a favorable congress.