MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What influenced your career choice?

Started Jul-8 by HWPeeler (HPeeler); 154 views.
HWPeeler (HPeeler)

Jul-8

Looking back at the TV reruns of the 1960's I have to say my life choices were influenced by sci fi movies filled with technology. Voyage to the bottom of the Sea. Star Trek. Japanese sci fi techy movies. Those whirling mag tape drives and panels of switches and blinking lights of computers. All this inspired me to study electronics. This interest carried me into electronics from the ninth grade, through high school, the military and my whole life. Retired now I still tinker with electronics as a hobby.

What influenced your career choice? Doctor TV and movies? Lawyer programs? James Bond?

What influences your children today?

fabul0us

Jul-10

We are all intrigue by tech - and mysterious things.

HWPeeler (HPeeler)

Jul-10

More than just intrigue to me. I made attempts to identify those props and consider what it would take to build them. An ideal job for me would be building props for the likes of Star Trek. I did get to work on computers back when they had those panels of switches and blinking lights. Univac 1212 and 1218 era. A great education that quickly went obsolete.

fabul0us

Jul-10

Absolutely - and how would people around the world communicate with each other if we didn't have computers.

(silly me that knows nothing about tech, I have to admit it)

blush

HWPeeler (HPeeler) said...

What influenced your career choice?<<
Romper Room :)

Thanks, I recognize you from another forum that participate in. relaxed

HWPeeler (HPeeler)

Jul-14

I have closed a lot of my forums recently. Still about a dozen left open.

Bike (URALTOURIST1)

Jul-16

Being adventurous, I went for the non-standard in much of what I did, from public school to my various career choices.  Took all the "hard" course in high school for the hell of it, did well in them.  Quit college at 18 after 1 1/2 semesters, not interested, enlisted and spent 21 years playing in the military as an Electronics Tech, Naval Engineering and Environmental Protection officer, etc.  Retired and went to something different, Nursing, stayed there for 20+ years as well, work conditions changed and I told them that if they did the proposed change, I was outta there, they did and I did in 2006.