General -  The case against kids playing football (70 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostSep-12 1:58 PM 
To: All  (1 of 4) 

http://www.alternet.org/case-against-high-school-football

The Case Against Letting Kids Play Football Just Got Stronger

Degenerative brain disease and toxic lessons in masculinity from the NFL

As a former athlete in high school and college, I thought sports would play more of a role in my relationship with my son.

Athletics provided the father that I didn’t have. The daily routine of going to practice didn’t just enhance my physical abilities; I had a structured place to go when school wasn’t in session. Sports taught me how to communicate with others, especially with other boys, and instilled an appreciation of fitness that has stayed with me to this day. I learned the values of teamwork, loyalty and preparation with every practice and drill I completed, with every mile I ran. And where I’m from, it’s much better to learn courage on the field than in the street.

I played basketball and football, did track and field. Football in particular taught me how to overcome obstacles much larger than my diminutive frame could initially handle. It was coaches more than my guidance counselors who paved the way for me to go to college.

But I won’t allow my son to play football.

My son goes to school so he can use his brain to contribute to society, not so that he can eventually donate his brain to scientists who study brain trauma. The more brain research that emerges on the long-term effects of playing football, the more disgusted I become with parents cheering on their children as they knock skulls in youth leagues across the country.

It’s past time that we banned children from playing tackle football. We don’t allow kids to drink alcohol until they’re legally adults. We shouldn’t encourage students to be punch drunk either. My son may play sports, but football won’t be one of them.

Reply   Options 

To: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 4) 
 4759.2 in reply to 4759.1 

After watching the Clemson university QB get nailed, try to get up then keeled over sideways out cold.... took him a few mins to get off the field, a sharp pep talk from super christian coach debo weanie, and he was back in for the next set of downs... concussion protocol in the NCAA is complete BS.

Houston Texans had 5 players knocked out on Sunday, we will see how the NFL concussion protocol actually works, as the Texans have a short week with a game on Thurs night.

From: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostSep-13 6:39 AM 
To: BlueManDude  (3 of 4) 
 4759.3 in reply to 4759.2 

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/football-concussions-felt-long-after-retirement/

Concussions Exact Toll on Football Players Long After They Retire

A leading researcher discusses how on-the-field head injuries can lead to neurological disorders in players even after they hang up their cleats

ormer Philadelphia Eagles star defensive back Andre Waters was known as a fierce tackler during his 12 seasons. By the time he retired in 1995, he had racked up hundreds of tackles but had also sustained numerous concussions.

After his playing days were over, he was reported to be suffering from depression. And in 2006, at age 44, he committed suicide with a gunshot to his head. According to forensic pathologist Bennet Omalu of the University of Pittsburgh, an autopsy after his death revealed that Waters' brain had suffered so much damage from football injuries that it resembled that of an 85-year-old man with early stage Alzheimer's disease. Omalu told The New York Times that he believes the depression and brain damage resulted from his career-related head injuries.

A 2007 study by the Center for the Study of Retired Athletes (CSRA) backs his findings. According to the research, published in the journal Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, National Football League (NFL) players surveyed who had sustained three or more concussions were three times as likely to develop clinical depression as players who had not suffered concussions. An earlier study in the Journal of Neuroscience showed that this group was also five times more likely to develop mild cognitive impairment—a condition linked to neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer's.

NFL players pride themselves on clobbering their opponents. But their punishing high-speed hits come with an added risk of sustaining concussions...................

From: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostSep-13 6:41 AM 
To: All  (4 of 4) 
 4759.4 in reply to 4759.3 

http://time.com/3611146/football-head-impacts-can-cause-brain-changes-even-without-concussion/

Football Head Impacts Can Cause Brain Changes Even Without Concussion

As the world mourns the loss of Ohio State University football player Kosta Karageorge, who was found dead in an apparent suicide on Nov. 30, concerns about the long term effects of head injuries sustained by footballers continue to mount. A day after Karageorge's death, a study has been released that suggests sports-related head impacts can cause changes in the brain even when there are no outward signs of a concussion.In fact, researchers from Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center in Winston-Salem, N.C., say some high school football players in the study exhibited measurable brain changes after a single season of play, even in the absence of concussion.

The Wake Forest team, lead by Dr. Christopher Whitlow, focused on youth players, a group that until now had been widely overlooked in the research into the effects of the repetitive head impacts associated with a typical season of football. “For every one NFL player, there are 2,000 youth players. That’s close to four million youth players and the vast majority of research on impact-related brain injuries has been on the college and professional level,” says Dr. Whitlow, noting that two-thirds of head impacts occur in practice sessions, not games.

In the first-of-its-kind study, the researchers hooked up 24 high school football players between the ages of 16 and 18 with helmet-mounted sensors to assess the frequency and severity of helmet impacts and then sent them out to play ball. As the players hit the field, the sensors allowed the researchers to monitor the severity of players’ head impacts. The team collected data from the helmets before and after every game and the high school students also underwent pre- and post-season diffusion tensor imaging (DTI) of the brain. “We looked at both structural and functional neuro-imaging and evaluated the players’ neuro-cognitive function,” he says.

“We found some changes in the brain that are concerning,” said Dr. Whitlow. “They are concerning because kids with more impacts had more changes and the kids with fewer impacts had fewer changes.”

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.