Religion in the US -  Catholic nurse sues hospital (352 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostNov-2 2:21 PM 
To: All  (1 of 23) 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/catholic-nurse-sues-hospital-alleging-discrimination/ar-AAumI5X

Catholic nurse sues hospital alleging discrimination

A Catholic nurse sued Duke University Hospital in Durham, N.C., alleging it discriminated against her religious beliefs by failing to accommodate her objections to abortion, birth control and giving vaccinations.

The lawsuit, filed in federal court, asks Duke University and its health system for back pay and other damages on behalf of Sara Pedro, who moved from New York City in August 2016 to take a job at the hospital. Michigan-based Thomas More Law Center, a conservative foundation whose advisory board includes former U.S. Rep. Michele Bachmann, a 2012 GOP presidential candidate, is assisting in the case.

Host of *Your Mileage May Vary

Reply   Options 

From: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostNov-2 3:32 PM 
To: All  (2 of 23) 
 4848.2 in reply to 4848.1 

The way I see it, this is NOT discrimination.  If you don't want to do the work that nurses are customarily expected to do, then maybe you should have picked another profession.  I am sick of hearing these holier-than-thou religious people expecting everyone else to accommodate their every whim.

From: Vicki (FlowrGal) DelphiPlus Member IconNov-2 4:54 PM 
To: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 23) 
 4848.3 in reply to 4848.2 

What you said!

This nutcase could still be a nurse in a different setting. She could work for a podiatrist, neurologist, dermatologist or any number of other medical specialties where abortion, contraceptives and vaccinations are not part of the practice. She gets zero sympathy from me. 

From: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostNov-2 8:17 PM 
To: Vicki (FlowrGal) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 23) 
 4848.4 in reply to 4848.3 

There was a case some years back where a pharmacist decided he would not dispense birth control pills.  Same thing - the pharmacist dispenses the medication directed by the doctor.  He doesn't have any part of that decision process.

From: Song~ (_Song_) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostNov-4 2:38 PM 
To: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 23) 
 4848.5 in reply to 4848.2 
She could always go work for one of those Catholic hospitals that deny all BC and abortions even to say the mother's life.

To: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (6 of 23) 
 4848.6 in reply to 4848.2 

Her beliefs are irrelevant.  She has an obligation to provide a duty of care.

And since when do Catholics oppose vaccinations?!

She should go sell holistic medicine and lemon detox packs on eBay.

Cheers,

Jenifer

From: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostNov-6 6:35 AM 
To: Jenifer (Zarknorph)  (7 of 23) 
 4848.7 in reply to 4848.6 

Jenifer (Zarknorph) said...

And since when do Catholics oppose vaccinations?!

That caught my eye, too.  I have never heard such a thing.  Maybe she is an anti-vaxxeer but that is not a religion thing - that's a gullible person believing false science thing.

From: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostNov-6 6:36 AM 
To: Jenifer (Zarknorph)  (8 of 23) 
 4848.8 in reply to 4848.6 

If we let this nurse get away with this, then what's to stop a nurse from refusing to give any medical treatment and use prayer for healing instead?

To: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (9 of 23) 
 4848.9 in reply to 4848.8 

Exactly - a VERY dangerous precedent would be set.

From: Marci (marcinmin) DelphiPlus Member IconNov-6 11:18 PM 
To: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (10 of 23) 
 4848.10 in reply to 4848.7 

it has to do with using fetal tissue in research to create certain vaccines, including the rubella vaccine. Kind of a stretch, but there is a Vatican statement on in and many of the pro-life groups oppose the use of any vaccines in which fetal tissue was used. I suspect this woman is being backed by one or more pro-life groups. 

Forum Host, Liberal Heaven
Assistant Moderator,YDD-Yellow Dog Democrats

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-20 21-23
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.