In the News -  Astronaut John Young dies at 87 (138 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host1/9/18 12:30 PM 
To: All  (1 of 4) 

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/john-young-corned-beef-sandwich-nasa-space

Remembering the Astronaut Who Smuggled a Sandwich Into Space

He got in a lot of trouble.

John Young, who died last Friday at the age of 87, was the longest-serving astronaut in NASA history. Since his first flight in 1965, Young spent 835 hours in space and walked on the moon. By all accounts, he had a stellar career.

But it was almost derailed by a corned beef sandwich.

An astronomical amount of time and money goes into feeding NASA’s astronauts. This doesn’t mean the food is particularly tasty, but it is safe, which, in space, means it’s compact. In an enclosed, weightless environment, food particles are a liability: They can gum up machinery or be accidentally inhaled. Even in normal gravity, flaky sliced bread from your average corned beef on rye can get everywhere. In a space shuttle, food particles can be downright dangerous.

But 34-year-old Young wasn’t thinking about that on March 23, 1965, when he accepted a corned beef sandwich from fellow astronaut and famed practical joker Wally Schirra. Schirra had strolled into Wolfie’s Restaurant and Sandwich shop in Cocoa Beach, Florida, two days earlier, to buy a sandwich. He passed it on to Young on the day of the flight, who zipped it into his space suit.

Host of *Your Mileage May Vary

Reply   Options 

From: Kid (Kidmagnet) DelphiPlus Member Icon1/10/18 1:09 PM 
To: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 4) 
 4960.2 in reply to 4960.1 

Neat little antidote! I liked this bit too

But Grissom remembered it as “one of the highlights of the flight.” Grissom himself was in hot water for nicknaming Gemini 3’s spacecraft Molly Brown after the musical “The Unsinkable Molly Brown.” (Grissom’s first space flight ended with his capsule sinking into the ocean after re-entry.) Grissom forced irritated NASA administrators to back down after he suggested the name “Titanic” as an alternative.

Look what I got at Sig Party! (new location)

From: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host1/10/18 4:54 PM 
To: Kid (Kidmagnet) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 4) 
 4960.3 in reply to 4960.2 

I remember the controversy over the sandwich.  I seem to remember one of the astronauts brought a golf club to the moon (Alan Shepard?)

Host of *Your Mileage May Vary

From: Kid (Kidmagnet) DelphiPlus Member Icon1/10/18 5:01 PM 
To: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 4) 
 4960.4 in reply to 4960.3 

YWN666 said...

I seem to remember one of the astronauts brought a golf club to the moon (Alan Shepard?)

Hmm yes, although I don't think he tried to eat it. https://www.pga.com/news/golf-buzz/feb-6-1971-alan-shepard-plays-golf-moon

Look what I got at Sig Party! (new location)

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.