Religion in the US -  Televangelist speaks to military (159 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host1/28/18 9:26 AM 
To: All  (1 of 5) 

http://www.newsweek.com/donald-trump-evangelicals-christians-us-army-military-ptsd-792797

Trump-Allied Televangelist Who Says Only Non-Believers Get PTSD Invited To Speak To Military

A self described “Christian extremist” who believes American warriors are immune to post-traumatic stress disorder will be the featured speaker at a prayer breakfast at the nation’s largest military installation next week.

Televangelist Kenneth Copeland, a member of President Donald Trump’s Faith Advisory Council, is scheduled to speak at the behemoth Fort Jackson army base in Columbia, S.C. on February 1.

Copeland belongs to a breakaway sect of Christian “Prosperity Gospel“ preachers who preach that Christ helps believers get rich, and that the Christian God and his Messiah disapprove of government programs for the poor.

Copeland was among a group of Christian fundamentalists who gathered at Trump Tower to lay hands on Trump in 2015, praying to know whether the Lord wanted him to run for President. Last year, he issued an online “prophecy” in which he proclaimed, "Our time has come. For we are the Christian extremists.”

But his most controversial remarks may have come in 2013, when he claimed the Bible backed up his notion that PTSD doesn't afflict True Believers. Reading from Numbers 32: 20-22, he said, “So this is a promise—if you do this thing, if you arm yourselves before the Lord for the war … you shall return, you’re coming back, and be guiltless before the Lord and before the nation.

“Any of you suffering from PTSD right now, you listen to me,” Copeland added. “You get rid of that right now. You don’t take drugs to get rid of it. It doesn’t take psychology. That promise right there will get rid of it.”

Host of *Your Mileage May Vary

Reply   Options 

From: Jenifer (Zarknorph) DelphiPlus Member Icon1/29/18 11:10 PM 
To: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 5) 
 4987.2 in reply to 4987.1 

This man is a dangerous idiot.

No wonder Trump likes him.

To: Jenifer (Zarknorph) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 5) 
 4987.3 in reply to 4987.2 

I can only wonder about the psychological damage he has caused some of these military personnel. Some are smart enough to know he's full of crap, but I don't doubt there are some die-hard religious fanatics in the military that would buy into this, and then end up suicidal because they can't reconcile their disorder with this man's atrocious dogma. 

“The more you know, the more you know you don't know

and the more you know that you don't know.” 

~ David Byrne

From: Jenifer (Zarknorph) DelphiPlus Member Icon2/1/18 3:38 AM 
To: BlueMoon67 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 5) 
 4987.4 in reply to 4987.3 

There are one of two proposals for this man's psychological makeup.

1.  He has never endured any trauma other than a stubbed toe;

2.  He HAS endured trauma and chose to ignore, block, repress, rinse and repeat and "that's just fine for me!  So you do the same, and I'll be normal"

Either way he is emotionally stunted.

To: Jenifer (Zarknorph) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 5) 
 4987.5 in reply to 4987.4 

He's downright dangerous. This is not what you preach to people who may suffer from mental illness. I would hope someone would recognize that, but I guess not. 

“The more you know, the more you know you don't know

and the more you know that you don't know.” 

~ David Byrne

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.