US Politics -  Trump to cut a deal to leave Presidency? (452 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJan-2 9:23 AM 
To: All  (1 of 28) 

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/01/trump-will-cut-deal-leave-office-end-2019-former-bush-aide/

Trump will cut a deal to leave office ‘before the end of 2019’: former Bush aide

President Donald Trump will not be removed from office via an impeachment conviction, but he will make a deal to exit his presidency “before the end of 2019,” says a former advisor to President George W. Bush. Alan J. Steinberg in an NJ.com op-ed says Trump will craft a deal to protect himself, his children, and the Trump Organization.

Trump will “use his presidency as a bargaining chip with federal and state authorities in 2019, agreeing to leave office in exchange for the relevant authorities not pursuing criminal charges against him, his children or the Trump Organization.”

Steinberg does predict Trump will be impeached by the Democratic-led House of Representatives, but says it is “highly unlikely” there will be enough votes in the Republican-majority Senate to convict and remove him from office.

Trump’s impeachment will be “for high crimes and misdemeanors, specifically his involvement in directing his former attorney and fixer Michael Cohen to commit a felony by making illegal in-kind contributions to the Trump campaign and concealing them,” says Steinberg.

Trump’s “abysmal” approval ratings and “the forthcoming recession” will make “it near impossible for Trump to stage a political recovery.”

The deal will include a pardon from a President Mike Pence, and will allow Trump to retain all his assets without any forfeiture despite possible criminal acts, Steinberg predicts..............

Host of *Your Mileage May Vary

Reply   Options 

From: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJan-2 9:25 AM 
To: All  (2 of 28) 
 5597.2 in reply to 5597.1 

I don't know what this prediction is bassed on but it sounds like a plausible outcome for Trump.  I want him out of office but I do NOT want him to get away with the crimes he has committed and the damage he has done to this country. He deserves total public humiliation.

From: Song~ (_Song_) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJan-2 10:36 AM 
To: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 28) 
 5597.3 in reply to 5597.2 
He isn't capable of admitting he's wrong or has done anything wrong along with thinking he's untouchable. So I don't know if he'd resign when he thinks he's right. We also know that if he resigns that his puppy, Pence, will pardon him for anything criminal he's done, since it will save his own ass as well.

From: Patrick Rock (PFR291) DelphiPlus Member IconJan-2 2:32 PM 
To: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 28) 
 5597.4 in reply to 5597.2 

It sounds similar to the deal that Spiro Agnew cut when he resigned the Vice-Presidency in 1973.  He resigned and pleaded "no contest" to a single charge of corruption, and skated away with no jail time and no conviction.

If something similar is being cooked up for Trump, I'd hope they close a few of the loopholes from 45 years ago:

1. Force him to forfeit all privileges of office, including Secret Service protection for 10 years after leaving (at taxpayer expense);

2. Make sure that the extent of his crimes are made public, INCLUDING any collusion with the Russians (Agnew spent the remainder of his life crying about how he'd been railroaded, pointing to the single charge as "all they had against" him; we all knew he was guilty, and he never rejoined public life, but he still had the audacity to continue to lie afterward); give him NO wiggle room to argue with the findings of the Mueller report (OR the Steele dossier); make him sign a full confession, or sign a document stating that he agreed with the findings of those reports, or failing that, stick him with a non-disclosure agreement (THAT would be a small amount of sweet karma), so he'd risk a hefty fine should he publicly contest the findings.

3. Force him to repay all salary he has collected, and to forfeit any profit gained by virtue of having held the office, and leave him vulnerable to state civil lawsuits by private individuals (he would most likely demand immunity to state and federal prosecution as a condition of leaving).

4. Finally, before a joint session of Congress, he should resign, and then get down on all fours and squeal like a pig for 60 seconds, just for the entertainment value.

To: Patrick Rock (PFR291) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 28) 
 5597.5 in reply to 5597.4 

I want the US Park Service to build stocks for the entire trump family, they would be required to endure the love from the public, they so richly deserve.

From: Patrick Rock (PFR291) DelphiPlus Member IconJan-2 3:35 PM 
To: BlueManDude  (6 of 28) 
 5597.6 in reply to 5597.5 

I would agree to that, but only if Hillary Clinton got to throw the first dozen rotten eggs.  After that, President and Mrs. Obama throw the next dozen (okay a dozen each), then let Bill Clinton get his dozen.  Hell, I'd even let George and Laura have their shot, and finally, before we open it to the general public, Merrick Garland.

From: Patrick Rock (PFR291) DelphiPlus Member IconJan-2 3:40 PM 
To: All  (7 of 28) 
 5597.7 in reply to 5597.6 

But seriously, folks . . .

It got ugly when Agnew was being investigated, and he used his office as a bargaining tool.  His biggest known crime was accepting (actually soliciting) bribes while Governor of Maryland.  I hate to think what kind of bullying tactics and what kind of demands trump might make in exchange for not damaging the country further; I have a feeling that he'd be capable of starting a nuclear war as a diversion, or threatening to do so as a hostage plan.  He'd want complete immunity for himself and his family, several couple million cold cash, and sanctuary in a nice mansion in Switzerland.

To: Patrick Rock (PFR291) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (8 of 28) 
 5597.8 in reply to 5597.7 

and sanctuary in a nice mansion in Switzerland Swaziland...

From: Ted (TW9808121976) DelphiPlus Member IconJan-3 8:48 AM 
To: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (9 of 28) 
 5597.9 in reply to 5597.1 

I believe the extent of crimes that will be proven by the Mueller report will be impossible to deny or excuse. I think it'll be political suicide for most of the Republican senators to vote for acquittal once the nation sees the evidence.

From: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJan-3 12:48 PM 
To: Ted (TW9808121976) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (10 of 28) 
 5597.10 in reply to 5597.9 

Ted (TW9808121976) said...

I think it'll be political suicide for most of the Republican senators to vote for acquittal once the nation sees the evidence.

I think that is why so many of them retired this year.  They don't want to be dragged down with him and they don't want to piss off other Republicans by criticizing him.

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-20 21-28
Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.