Religion in the US -  Link between religion and brain damage (400 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJan-6 9:14 AM 
To: All  (1 of 43) 

https://www.alternet.org/2019/01/scientists-have-established-link-between-brain-damage-and-religious-fundamentalism/

Scientists have established a link between brain damage and religious fundamentalism

study published in the journal Neuropsychologia has shown that religious fundamentalism is, in part, the result of a functional impairment in a brain region known as the prefrontal cortex. The findings suggest that damage to particular areas of the prefrontal cortex indirectly promotes religious fundamentalism by diminishing cognitive flexibility and openness—a psychology term that describes a personality trait which involves dimensions like curiosity, creativity, and open-mindedness.

Religious beliefs can be thought of as socially transmitted mental representations that consist of supernatural events and entities assumed to be real. Religious beliefs differ from empirical beliefs, which are based on how the world appears to be and are updated as new evidence accumulates or when new theories with better predictive power emerge. On the other hand, religious beliefs are not usually updated in response to new evidence or scientific explanations, and are therefore strongly associated with conservatism. They are fixed and rigid, which helps promote predictability and coherence to the rules of society among individuals within the group.

Host of *Your Mileage May Vary

Reply   Options 

From: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJan-6 9:15 AM 
To: All  (2 of 43) 
 5601.2 in reply to 5601.1 

To: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 43) 
 5601.3 in reply to 5601.1 

Misleading title. Fundamentalist anything is a symptom of psychological issues.

To: Gráinne (Altermahn)  (4 of 43) 
 5601.4 in reply to 5601.3 

I'd go with anyone these days that believes such nonsense is totally brainwashed or just plain stupid.

JD

Beyond Belief
The Truth is what the facts are.
No. I don't have to respect your beliefs.

From: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJan-13 9:38 AM 
To: Gráinne (Altermahn)  (5 of 43) 
 5601.5 in reply to 5601.3 

When choosing a title for a thread, there are a limited number of characters so I can't always describe the article accurately but the headline of the article makes it clear.

To: JohnDoe947 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (6 of 43) 
 5601.6 in reply to 5601.4 

That's not what the article is about...

To: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (7 of 43) 
 5601.7 in reply to 5601.5 

Well, not really, because the article is about fundamentalist religion, not religion per se. The problem here is fundamentalism - religion being one version.

From: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJan-13 9:53 AM 
To: Gráinne (Altermahn)  (8 of 43) 
 5601.8 in reply to 5601.7 

I just explained to you why the title of the article was not specific in saying "fundamentalist religion"

To: Gráinne (Altermahn)  (9 of 43) 
 5601.9 in reply to 5601.6 

Did I say it was?

The subject allows for comment on religion in general. Pedantic schoolmarm's opinions aside.

JD

Beyond Belief
The Truth is what the facts are.
No. I don't have to respect your beliefs.

To: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (10 of 43) 
 5601.10 in reply to 5601.8 

Yes, I understand. And my point is that this makes it misleading, as it suggests that "religion", not fundamentalism, is the problem.

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-20 21-30 31-40 41-43
Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.