In the News -  Weatherman fired for racial slur (99 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJan-9 1:19 PM 
To: All  (1 of 3) 

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/08/opinions/responses-to-meteorologist-on-air-slur-mabry/index.html

What's behind the reaction to weatherman's slur

(CNN)It's not surprising that a New York weatherman saying a racial slur on television ignited a controversy that ripped through social media. It is not surprising to some people that the incident led to the weatherman, Jeremy Kappell of WHEC in Rochester, New York, being fired.

What is surprising to many is that the antique Southern anti-black slur, coon, is often substituted for King in the name of the civil rights icon Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
But many African-Americans are familiar with exactly that swap: Martin Luther Coon Boulevard, Martin Luther Coon Park, Martin Luther Coon Day, Martin Luther...

In fact, despite what many Americans assume, King is not universally respected or admired. Thirty-five years after Ronald Reagan signed the bill making King's birthday a federal holiday, there are those who still resist it.

In the firestorm that engulfed social media, people have rushed both to condemn Kappell and to defend him and criticize his station for firing him.
Would-be linguists have weighed in on both sides. One side saying Kappell either intentionally used the phrase, or that he slipped only in the time and place that he said it, but it must have been a part of his regular vocabulary.

"wowww that video. he definitely says that all the time, which is why it slipped out on air," said Twitter user @notmuchelse.

"Are you kidding me? That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. Say 'King' and 'Junior' 5 times fast and tell me what happens," responded another Twitter user with the handle @JaredG_13_.

Host of *Your Mileage May Vary

Reply   Options 

From: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJan-9 1:23 PM 
To: All  (2 of 3) 
 5610.2 in reply to 5610.1 

Sounds like an honest flubbed line to me.  I don't think he meant to use the word "coon" - he immediately corrected himself aftewards.

From: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJan-11 12:48 PM 
To: All  (3 of 3) 
 5610.3 in reply to 5610.1 

https://www.newsweek.com/martin-luther-king-jrs-daughter-criticizes-firing-meteorologist-who-used-1288071

Martin Luther King Jr.'s Daughter Criticizes Firing of Meteorologist Who Used Racial Slur While Saying Father's Name

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s daughter, Dr. Bernice King, criticized the firing of a meteorologist who was let go after using a racial slur on air because it could have been a chance for rehabilitation.

New York meteorologist Jeremy Kappell was fired after saying, “Martin Luther Coon … King Jr. Park” during a broadcast. Following criticism of his use of the racial slur, Kappell said it wasn’t intentional and he simply misspoke.

“If you watch me regularly you know that I tend to contain a lot of information in my weathercast, which forces me to speak fast and unfortunately I spoke a little too fast when I was referencing Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. So fast to the point where I jumbled a couple of words,” Kappell said.

Richard A. Reingold, the boss of WHEC where Kappell worked, said the meteorologist was fired after an internal investigation and said his words have no place on the network’s air. Reingold added that it “disheartens and disgusts” him and called the fact that it wasn’t caught immediately “inexcusable.”

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.