US Politics -  Be sure your mail-in ballot counts (142 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostSep-6 10:32 AM 
To: All  (1 of 10) 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/why-mail-in-ballot-rejected-voting-counts/

Why some mail-in ballots are rejected and how to make sure your vote counts

More Americans than ever are likely to cast a ballot by mail for the first time in this year's presidential election, and though this sounds like it should be simple, voters could face a learning curve in completing it properly and ensuring it arrives in time to be counted.

In the primary elections held during the pandemic this year in five key battleground states, rejection rates of returned absentee and mail-in ballots ranged from a little under 1% to nearly 2%, according to a CBS News analysis of state data and a report from the MIT Election Data and Science Lab. The number seems small and suggests that in the vast majority of cases, votes cast by mail are counted.

But in a close election, it's a number that signals potential challenges ahead for voters, campaigns, and election officials in November. Rejected ballots could become a key source of contention that could further stall results. 

A missing signature, an unverified signature, or late arrival are the most common reasons for a ballot to be rejected, according to the U.S. Election Assistance Commission report from the 2016 election. In that election, 318,728 ballots — just under 1% of returned absentee ballots — were rejected across the country. 

Concerns about the coronavirus mean that "so many more people are going to vote by mail, that it really does raise the possibility of a high number of rejected ballots," says Josh Douglas, an election law and voting rights professor at the University of Kentucky. "If you have a super close election, especially in a presidential swing state, and the margin of victory is lower than the margin of rejected ballots, then people will question the results. And then you get litigation."

Host of *Your Mileage May Vary

Reply   Options 

From: Song~ (_Song_) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostSep-13 2:32 PM 
To: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 10) 
 6652.2 in reply to 6652.1 
Got my ballot Friday. I'll probably end up dropping it off right at the BoE office for my county next week since I have to drive right past the building on my way into town.

From: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostSep-14 6:56 AM 
To: Song~ (_Song_) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 10) 
 6652.3 in reply to 6652.2 

Yeah with the nonsense going on at the Post Office, better not to rely on them getting your ballot to the BoE on time.

To: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 10) 
 6652.4 in reply to 6652.3 

I think that for most of us mailing the ballot in early is the best way we have to vote.  Just complete it, put it in your mail box or mail slot and let the letter carrier pick it up and deliver it.  Do it when you get the ballot.  

There is nothing wrong with hand carrying back to the board of elections if you want to.  Just be sure you do that promptly.  

From: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostSep-16 6:47 AM 
To: Ishmael112  (5 of 10) 
 6652.5 in reply to 6652.4 

In some states, the mail-in ballots are postage paid but in those that are not, the ballots require more postage than a typical one ounce letter.  You may need 2 or 3 stamps although I am reading that even if you don't put a stamp on it, the Post Office will deliver it.  I wouldn't take any chances, though.

To: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (6 of 10) 
 6652.6 in reply to 6652.5 

YWN666 said...

In some states . . .

Those three words say it all.  Each state devises its own system.  There is no coordination, no uniformity and 50 sets of rules, all for one common task.  

From: Patrick Rock (PFR291) DelphiPlus Member IconSep-16 2:12 PM 
To: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (7 of 10) 
 6652.7 in reply to 6652.1 

I live in Kansas, in the suburban KC area, and have decided to do early voting instead.  In most elections, early voting here does not take long, and when I early voted during the primary, they had everything pretty well figured out.

From: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostSep-17 6:38 AM 
To: Patrick Rock (PFR291) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (8 of 10) 
 6652.8 in reply to 6652.7 

They have early voting here in NY and I plan on taking advantage of it but I don't know how they will coordinate it since there are so few early voting centers in the state and the hours are pretty short (not many opportunities for those of us that work 9-5).

From: Song~ (_Song_) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostSep-19 11:45 AM 
To: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (9 of 10) 
 6652.9 in reply to 6652.3 
Dropped my ballot off at the BoE yesterday!

From: Song~ (_Song_) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostSep-19 11:46 AM 
To: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (10 of 10) 
 6652.10 in reply to 6652.5 
I don't know about other states but in NC it states on the envelope that it requires a first class stamp.

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.