US Politics -  Democrats take control of the Senate (74 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJan-8 1:01 PM 
To: All  (1 of 1) 

https://www.npr.org/2021/01/06/953712195/democrats-move-closer-to-senate-control-as-counting-continues-in-georgia

Democrats Take Control Of Senate With Twin Georgia Victories

Democrats took exceedingly narrow control of the Senate on Wednesday after winning both runoff elections in Georgia, granting them control of Congress and the White House for the first time since 2011.

Democrat Jon Ossoff defeated Republican David Perdue, according to The Associated Press, making him the youngest member of the U.S. Senate and the first Jewish senator from Georgia. Earlier Raphael Warnock, a pastor from Atlanta, defeated GOP Sen. Kelly Loeffler after a bitter campaign. Warnock becomes the first Black Democrat elected to the Senate from a Southern state.

The Senate will now be split 50-50 between the two parties, giving Vice President-elect Kamala Harris the tiebreaking vote.

Ossoff had a narrow lead Wednesday morning when he declared victory.

"It is with humility that I thank the people of Georgia for electing me to serve you in the United States Senate," he said.

Perdue has not conceded.

Impact on Biden agenda

Control of the Senate significantly changes what President-elect Joe Biden could do, but most importantly, his party will now be able to set the legislative agenda. Democrats failed to make the kind of gains in Senate races in November that many had forecast, with GOP incumbents staving off strong challenges in several states. But with narrow control, they will wield the gavels for Senate committees, call hearings and decide which items get top priority...................

Host of *Your Mileage May Vary

Reply   Options 

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.