Entertainment -  Sydney Poitier dead at 94 (58 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJan-7 11:35 AM 
To: All  (1 of 1) 

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/sydney-poitier-dies_n_586d44d5e4b0eb58648ba9b5

Sidney Poitier, First Black Man To Win Oscar For Best Actor, Dies At Age 94: Reports

The trailblazer won an Academy Award for his work in 1964.

Sidney Poitier, the Bahamian-American actor who broke numerous Hollywood barriers in the 1950s and 1960s — most famously in 1964 when he became the first Black man to win the Oscar for best actor — has died, Bahamian news outlets reported Friday, citing the country’s minister of foreign affairs. He was 94.

Details on the timing and manner of his death were not immediately available.

Over his career, Poitier was repeatedly the “first.” He became the first Black man to win an international film award at the Venice Film Festival in 1957; the first to be nominated for Best Actor at the Academy Awards in 1958; and, of course, he became the first to win it for “Lilies of the Field.”

“I had a sense of responsibility not only to myself and to my time, but certainly to the people I represented,” Poitier said in 2008. “So I was charged with a responsibility to represent them in ways that they would see and say, ‘OK, I like that.’”

In 1969, while reviewing the Poitier film “The Lost Man,” The New York Times’ Vincent Canby wrote, “Sidney Poitier does not make movies, he makes milestones.” In part, Canby meant the line as a jab at Poitier, who continued to work with men whom Canby viewed as “second-rate directors.” But it was also an unquestionable nod to the long list of firsts already associated with Poitier’s name by that time.

Host of *Your Mileage May Vary

Reply   Options 

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.