US Politics -  Judge tosses Trump's Twitter lawsuit (269 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostMay-7 11:48 AM 
To: All  (1 of 19) 

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-judge-dismisses-trumps-lawsuit-challenging-his-twitter-ban-2022-05-06/

U.S. judge dismisses Trump's lawsuit challenging his Twitter ban

WASHINGTON, May 6 (Reuters) - A U.S. judge on Friday dismissed former President Donald Trump's lawsuit against Twitter Inc (TWTR.N) that challenged his suspension from the platform.

In a written ruling, U.S. District Judge James Donato in San Francisco rejected Trump's argument that Twitter violated his right to freedom of speech guaranteed by the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.

Twitter and other social media platforms banned Trump from their services after a mob of his supporters attacked the U.S. Capitol in a deadly riot on Jan. 6, 2021.

That assault followed a speech by Trump in which he reiterated false claims that his election loss in November was because of widespread fraud, an assertion rejected by multiple courts and state election officials.........................

Host of *Your Mileage May Vary

Reply   Options 

From: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostMay-7 11:49 AM 
To: All  (2 of 19) 
 7448.2 in reply to 7448.1 

Velveeta Voldemort loses another one.

Host of *Your Mileage May Vary

From: Patrick Rock (PFR291) DelphiPlus Member IconMay-7 2:12 PM 
To: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 19) 
 7448.3 in reply to 7448.1 

I guess that perhaps his attorneys did not fully explain to the court how a private company can violate his First Amendment rights any more than a magazine that refuses to print a poorly-written and seditious letter to the editor.

To: All 

To: Patrick Rock (PFR291) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 19) 
 7448.4 in reply to 7448.3 

Meanwhile the government of Florida is punishing Disney for exercising their First Amendment rights.

From: Patrick Rock (PFR291) DelphiPlus Member IconMay-8 8:34 AM 
To: Tom McFarland (TMCF)  (5 of 19) 
 7448.5 in reply to 7448.4 

No, they're punishing Florida taxpayers for it.

To: Tom McFarland (TMCF)  (6 of 19) 
 7448.6 in reply to 7448.4 

Yes, Tom, there's this thing called 1A. But there is absolutely no such thing as free speech and whoever told that to you lied. 

What I mean is that, we say stuff to each other here and little, if anything, will come from it. But, given the arena in which you couch your comments, you can be tried in the court of public opinion, lose jobs, endorsements, and the like, get sued for slander/libel, and, in the case of Disney, have the vindictive governor of Florida and his toadies in the state legislature pass a bill that undid one that, when originally passed, was in the best interests of both the state and, specifically, Orange and Osceola counties, and of Disney, who could likely provide stuff like infrastructure and policing for themselves far better than the local jurisdictions could.

So, Disney paid the price for opening up their mouth. Except that DeathSantis was so intent on retribution that he didn't realize that he shot out his own organs in the process. So, in this instance, free speech will be a Pyrrhic victory for Florida and nothing else. And Disney will likely make more in profit because you know they're not going to lower prices now that they don't have to govern their own land anymore, with some of the cost of going on vacation there used to maintain the joint. And, though an overstatement, you could eat off the streets there as it was that well maintained. 

Makes you wonder who the real Mickey Mouse operation is here.  

--Mark

To: markruck  (7 of 19) 
 7448.7 in reply to 7448.6 

I agree that there can be consequences for free speech.  I was just drawing the disinction between Trump being muzzled by private interests vs. Disney by government. 

To: Tom McFarland (TMCF)  (8 of 19) 
 7448.8 in reply to 7448.7 

Two different animals here, Tom.

No one is forcing you to talk on places like Twitter and Facebook, so 1A wouldn't apply there, which is what the judge essentially told trump, or at least his shyster lawyers. In the case of trump, if you don't like what they're doing, start your own. Like trump steaks, trump water, trump vodka, trump university and the trump foundation, look how that went. A regular alchemist!

As far as Disney, if it weren't for Reedy Creek (the self-governing entity), there was likely little the state of Florida could have done to Disney. But DeathSantis was so, oh, let me use the word, 'triggered' <G> by what Disney said that he just had to punish them. Didn't matter if he shot his own dick off in the process; he told them a thing or two! The vindictiveness, pettiness, immaturity and, very likely projection, is just mind-boggling. What a bunch of babies and hypocrites.  

--Mark

To: markruck  (9 of 19) 
 7448.9 in reply to 7448.6 

I rather suspect that Disney execs are sitting back and laughing at Gov. Satan's decision. Floridians will take over the tax burden now, and if they didn't figure that out, they will soon enough. 

To: BlueMoon67 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (10 of 19) 
 7448.10 in reply to 7448.9 

The only thing that could happen to Disney that won't make the execs laugh is that Orange and Osceola Counties take over all the infrastructure and policing and are overwhelmed, and it affects the property and therefore the company. And then what happens? Can a homeowner sue a town when services start to decline? No, they leave, if they can, taking relative pennies on the dollar for their property. And hopefully they get out before 75 cents on a dollar turns to a quarter. 

Plenty of ignorant boobs in Florida (let's call them the base) cheered DeathSantis for what he's doing to Disney. I'm wondering at what point, if any, will they come to the realization that they've been duped. I'm waiting for a bunch of light bulbs to go on. But I'm afraid they're going to be night lights and refrigerator bulbs. 

--Mark

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-19
Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.