US Politics -  Sup Ct OKs public $ for religion (162 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJun-23 6:49 AM 
To: All  (1 of 7) 

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/supreme-court/supreme-court-oks-

Supreme Court OKs use of public money for religious education

The court ruled that Maine can't exclude families in areas without public high schools from using state-provided tuition money for sectarian education.

The Supreme Court ruled Tuesday that state programs providing money for public school tuition cannot exclude schools that offer religious instruction.

The decision relaxed long-standing restrictions on using taxpayer money to pay for religious education, further lowering the wall of separation between church and state. 

The vote was 6-3, with Justices Stephen Breyer, Elena Kagan and Sonia Sotomayor dissenting.

At issue was a state program in Maine that made taxpayer money available to families who live in remote areas without public high schools. Under the state law, they could use the money for their children's tuition at public or private schools in other communities, but not for sectarian schools, defined as those that promote a particular faith or belief system and teach material “through the lens of this faith.”  

Writing for the majority, Chief Justice John Roberts said Maine’s program “promotes stricter separation of church and state than the federal Constitution requires.”.............

Host of *Your Mileage May Vary

Reply   Options 

To: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 7) 
 7511.2 in reply to 7511.1 

Another fucked up decision by KCOTUS (K for Kangaroo).

No money should go to any school that doesn't have to adhere to state guidelines. And, certainly, no money should go to any private school (read: religious) that doesn't pay taxes. 

--Mark

From: Song~ (_Song_) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJun-23 1:48 PM 
To: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 7) 
 7511.3 in reply to 7511.1 
Can't say as I have any respect at all for SCUTUS and more...

From: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJun-24 10:22 AM 
To: Song~ (_Song_) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 7) 
 7511.4 in reply to 7511.3 

They just overturned Roe v. Wade

From: Song~ (_Song_) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJun-25 12:55 PM 
To: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 7) 
 7511.5 in reply to 7511.4 
Yep...we're well on our way to being a nation that's run by the Christian Taliban.

To: Song~ (_Song_) DelphiPlus Member Icon unread  (6 of 7) 
 7511.6 in reply to 7511.5 

The truly religious Christians don't see the hypocrisy in their own beliefs. First, they believe in some unseen hand with magical superpowers. And then they fear a supposedly all-loving God. Finally, in their quest for white superiority, they pray to a Palestinian. But don't try to explain that to them. After all, their heads will explode when (if) they finally come to terms with their orange anti-Christ being little more than a narcissistic, psychopathic thug.

Makes me proud to be an atheist.   

--Mark

From: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJun-26 7:41 AM 
To: markruck  (7 of 7) 
 7511.7 in reply to 7511.6 

Me too.  I will defend anyone's right to their religious beliefs but the second they try to force it on me, then the gloves come off.

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.