Science/Nature/Technology -  Hurricane Fiona hits Puerto Rico (108 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostSep-20 10:59 AM 
To: All  (1 of 10) 

https://www.npr.org/2022/09/20/1123846384/puerto-rico-hurricane-fiona-hurricane-maria-anniversary

5 years on, failures from Hurricane Maria loom large as Puerto Rico responds to Fiona

Exactly five years after Hurricane Maria devastated Puerto Rico, killing at least 3,000 residents and causing the collapse of the island's electricity system, the U.S. territory is again facing the aftermath of a massive storm for which it is not fully prepared.

In the wake of Fiona, which made landfall as a Category 1 hurricane on Sunday, hundreds of thousands of Puerto Ricans were again without electricity. The island's governor, Pedro Pierluisi, has described the outages, massive flooding and landslides there as "catastrophic."

The response to Fiona could be telling. The Trump administration's response to Hurricane Maria was widely seen as wholly inadequate, and the infrastructure on the island is still far from resilient enough to absorb any new shocks. But federal officials have learned lessons from the Maria response and are already showing signs of putting them into effect. While some see progress in the response to Fiona, others say there is still a long way to go.

Ahead of Fiona, FEMA had more supplies in place

Anne Bink, the associate administrator of the Office of Response and Recovery at the Federal Emergency Management Agency, says the agency is much better situated to respond to Fiona than it was for Maria.

Five years ago, there was only a single FEMA warehouse with supplies on the entire island. Now there are four, she says.

"We have 10 times the food, 10 times the water that we had when Maria struck and made landfall in Puerto Rico," Bink says. "And we also have triple the generation support, the temporary power support."

Host of *Your Mileage May Vary

Reply   Options 

From: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostSep-20 11:01 AM 
To: All  (2 of 10) 
 7638.2 in reply to 7638.1 

The big difference between Maria and Fiona is that for Fiona, we have a President that doesn't respond to disasters based on personal vendettas the way Trump did with Maria.  Biden would also never visit a disaster site and throw paper towels to people that have been without water and electricity for weeks.

From: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostSep-20 11:02 AM 
To: All  (3 of 10) 
 7638.3 in reply to 7638.1 

https://www.npr.org/2022/09/20/1124015044/hurricane-fiona-turks-and-caicos

Fiona barrels toward Turks and Caicos as a Category 3 hurricane

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico — Hurricane Fiona barreled toward the Turks and Caicos Islands on Tuesday as a Category 3 storm, prompting the government to impose a curfew.

Forecasters said Fiona was expected to pass near Grand Turk, the British territory's capital island, on Tuesday morning.

"Storms are unpredictable," Premier Washington Misick said in a statement from London, where he was attending the funeral of Queen Elizabeth II. "You must therefore take every precaution to ensure your safety."

Misick is scheduled to return home on Thursday.

Early Tuesday, Fiona was centered 20 miles (30 kilometers) southeast of Grand Turk Island. It had maximum sustained winds of 115 mph (185 kph) and was moving north-northwest at 10 mph (17 kph).

The intensifying storm kept dropping copious rain over the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico, where a 58-year-old man died after police said he was swept away by a river in the central mountain town of Comerio.

Another death was linked to a power blackout — a 70-year-old man was burned to death after he tried to fill his generator with gasoline while it was running, officials said..................

To: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 10) 
 7638.4 in reply to 7638.1 

I'm still without power and water but it has been a couple of days, not four months (electric power) like Irma and Maríaworried

From: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostSep-20 9:30 PM 
To: MEDDLY  (5 of 10) 
 7638.5 in reply to 7638.4 

Where are you located?

To: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (6 of 10) 
 7638.6 in reply to 7638.5 

San Juan, Puerto Rico.

From: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostSep-21 3:18 PM 
To: MEDDLY  (7 of 10) 
 7638.7 in reply to 7638.6 

How was Fiona compared to Maria?

To: All 

To: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (8 of 10) 
 7638.8 in reply to 7638.7 

Fiona was like Hortense (1996), lots of rains, a few 50+ winds and a week without power. Irma and María left me without power for 120 days. We got back the power on January 5th, 2018. Just in time for Epiphany Day (Three Kings Day).

Addendum

I got used to darkness after 6:00 PM.

• Edited September 21, 2022 4:04 pm  by  MEDDLY

From: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostSep-21 7:08 PM 
To: MEDDLY  (9 of 10) 
 7638.9 in reply to 7638.8 

120 days - wow. I lost power for 2 weeks after a hurricane and I was bored out of my mind

To: YWN666 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (10 of 10) 
 7638.10 in reply to 7638.9 

Getting bored is what "helped" me. That and trying to get home before dusk. Since all the streets were in the dark. No, I don't drive, I use public transportation (buses, metro train) and they were suspended for a whole month (train took longer to be reestablished.

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.