All Pets Big and Small

Hosted by PennyCC|DoGently Blog

This forum is for people who love animals. Some people only want dogs or cats as pets. Others like a variety of pets. Let's talk about all pets in all places.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Small Dogs and Big Birds   Dogs

Started 1/4/18 by PennyCC; 286 views.
PennyCC

1/4/18

I use a doggie door and have for about 15 years, but my dogs were 50-lb Portuguese Water Dogs. When I got my miniature poodle 3 years ago, I tried to get him to use the doggie door, but he resisted and wanted me to let him out of the human door. I still have Neeka, my PWD, who uses the doggie door.

After some thought I realized that at 15 lbs, Dakota might be in danger from some of the really big birds I see flying in the sky.  We live in a suburbs but at the edge of town near woods. So I was glad that Dakota did not like the doggie door and am no longer trying to get him to use it.

I friend of mine who also has PWDs is thinking of getting a small dog under 20 lbs.  I gave her the same advice: Do not let your dog go out without you being there with him or close by.  I may not be close enough to Dakota if a big bird sweeps down, but I will know where he is and can keep an eye on the sky.  

We who own bigger dogs and later get a small dog have to realize that the smaller dog needs to be protected better than we are used to. It is a thought that does not occur to us sometimes.

In reply toRe: msg 1
PennyCC

1/4/18

In reply toRe: msg 2
PennyCC

1/4/18

DarkestWolf

1/7/18

This happened to a friend of mine only it was kittens that came out on her balcony and an owl grabbed one luckily she was able to shoot her hunting rifle and the owl dropped the kitten. Luckily the kitten was unharmed but it is a real danger. She figured the cats and her pom were safe on the balcony.

PennyCC

1/7/18

I would have assumed the same thing myself. Although I did see a video of a bird cage someone put on their patio so that their caged bird could be some fresh air, and a bigger bird came down and dived between the wire of the cage to get at the little bird. So I guess we should not assume a balcony or a patio is safe from big birds.