All Pets Big and Small

Hosted by PennyCC|DoGently Blog

This forum is for people who love animals. Some people only want dogs or cats as pets. Others like a variety of pets. Let's talk about all pets in all places.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Francis Has A Mast Cell Tumor   Animal Health

Started Jan-24 by ClickNTreat; 560 views.
ClickNTreat

Jan-24

Francis, our Boston Terrier had a mast cell tumor removed last week, so I wanted to give everyone a heads up on what these tumors are, and what they look like. Mast cells are responsible for histamine response in an allergic reaction. Sometimes, in our dogs these cells go crazy and over grow into cancerous tumors. They can be deadly, so we are lucky Francis had her tumor caught early.

If you see a squishy pink lump on your dog, please go to your vet and have it biopsied. https://wearethecure.org/learn-more-about-canince-cancer/canine-cancer-library/mast-cell-tumors/

This was Francis's tumor.

As you can see, it's not even as big as my husband's thumb nail. A fleshy pink lump that was soft and flexible and painless to Francis, was growing on her chest. We had it removed. The surgeon had to get a lot of tissue from around it to make sure he got all of it. When we got her back from the vet, I was shocked by how big the incision was on our wee dog.

Poor Francis! That looks like it hurts! But, being a two year old dog, of course, Francis wasn't in much pain or slowed down very much at all. After three days, the hardest part has been keeping her quiet so she can heal. The stitches will be removed on Saturday. We got the pathology report and it is good news. The entire tumor was removed and we expect a full recovery and our dear Francis will be back to being full on Francis.

2 Gallon Dog 5 Gallon Bucket

Francis and her favorite dog toy, a five gallon bucket.

Gaelspirit

Jan-24

Aww, sorry to hear what you all and Francis have had to go thru. That's quite an incision! Hope she continues to heal well and gets back to her young old self. 

Thanx for sharing the photo of the tumor and what to look for!

PennyCC

Jan-25

I really appreciate your sharing this information. I had never heard of mast cell tumors before. I am glad that the operation was so successful.

Francis is amazing. She looks like she is herding that 5 gallon bucket. I can see why she is such a joy to have.

Kid (Kidmagnet)

Feb-21

WOW that is a huge incision! Thanks for the heads up. Heal fast Francis!

ClickNTreat

Feb-21

Francis has her stitches out, and is full on Francis again! I am glad she's back to causing trouble.

Kid (Kidmagnet)

Feb-22

Great! I realized after I posted this was back in January lol

Gaelspirit

Feb-23

Great news -- thanx for checking in with an update!

PennyCC

Feb-24

I am glad that Francis is doing great. It is so scary when you hear the big C word and so good when you hear the person, or dog in this case, are doing well.  Good on you for catching the tumor so quickly.

ClickNTreat

Feb-24

Yeah, it's good that the tumor was removed fully. Hopefully there won't be a relapse. We are giving her Benedryl every day to try and keep the number of  mast cells in her body down. Right now, she's full on Francis and that's how we want her to stay.