All Pets Big and Small

Hosted by PennyCC|DoGently Blog

This forum is for people who love animals. Some people only want dogs or cats as pets. Others like a variety of pets. Let's talk about all pets in all places.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

FEATURED BARNYARD PET: Potbellied Pig   Other Critters

Started 1/31/18 by PennyCC; 368 views.
PennyCC

1/31/18

FEATURED BARNYARD PET:  Potbellied Pig

31 Jan 2018

Pets 101- Pet Pigs

For more Pet knowledge, visit http://animal.discovery.com/petsource/#mkcpgn=ytapl1 | These seemingly dirty animals are making a comeback as a household pet! ...

How big are Potbellied Pigs?

Potbellied Pigs can range between 80 and 160 pounds, with the average pig weighing around 120 pounds. Miniature pigs continue to grow until they reach maturity at 3 to 5 years of age. Comparatively, farm pigs can weigh 600 to 1000 pounds.

Is there such thing as a Teacup or Micro-mini Potbelly Pig?

Though breeders and pet shops might claim they have micro-mini pigs, far too frequently, such pigs have stunted growth due to under-feeding and poor nutrition. Rarely do we see a pig that remains under 50 pounds at maturity unless it has health problems that are often a result of inbreeding. Starving a pig to keep it small is no different than starving a human child to keep it small. It’s cruel and it doesn’t work.

Read more on Pig Placement Network.

• Edited January 31, 2018 6:29 pm  by  PennyCC
In reply toRe: msg 1
PennyCC

1/31/18

In reply toRe: msg 2
PennyCC

1/31/18

What you need to know about Mini Pig Zoning

Go to your city's website and check the zoning ordinance. First, check to see if potbelly pigs are considered livestock or swine, then put those terms in the search bar and read. If you don’t understand what you’re reading, call and ask what it’s meant to imply. If your city/county doesn’t have a website or you can’t find this information, call the zoning commission and ask. Be sure to write down names/titles and extensions of those you talk to. Then you need to go to the zoning office and get a copy of the ordinance to have for your records. ALWAYS GET SOMETHING IN WRITING! Don’t assume because Shelly, the zoning office receptionist, said she didn’t see a problem, that it is ok. Shelly doesn’t have the authority to make that decision. Next, go to the zoning commissions office, every city/county should have one and ask to see the actual ordinance (if one exists) and get a copy. Then, call or visit animal control, these will likely be the people who enforce it anyways, so you need to know who they are and who is in charge. In reality, I want every single person at animal control to know me and my pig, God forbid she was to get out, they would know exactly where to return her to, or at least know who to call to pick her up from pig jail. 

Read rest of article.

In reply toRe: msg 3
PennyCC

1/31/18

The Pros and Cons of Pig Parenting with Pet Expert Laura Nativo - Home & Family

Laura Nativo is breaking down the pros and cons of the latest trend, owning a pig. She warns viewers at home that pigs are super intelligent and need constan...

In reply toRe: msg 4
PennyCC

1/31/18

Do your homework on the person selling you your "mini" pig so that you are not surprised at the adult pig size.

How Big Are My Mini Pigs??

The number one question answered! How big does a mini pig get? My pig onesie ????: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014QVDBUO/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&...