All Pets Big and Small

Hosted by PennyCC|DoGently Blog

This forum is for people who love animals. Some people only want dogs or cats as pets. Others like a variety of pets. Let's talk about all pets in all places.

Teacup Dogs and Cats   Pet Talk

Started Mar-12 by PennyCC; 79 views.

Everyone who sees a very small dog or cat think they are so cute!  And they are, but are they healthy? Is it a good idea to breed micro sized dogs and cats?  Here is some information about the way these small sized cats and dogs are created.

The Truth About Teacup Dogs

After Paris Hilton introduced the world to Tinkerbell the Chihuahua on the TV show "The Simple Life," veterinarians say there's been an increased interest in “teacup” dogs—animals bred to be so small they could fit in a designer purse.

But the practices used to breed these tiny dogs could lead to a host of medical problems, and owners should know what they’re getting into before plunking down big bucks for a small dog.

Read rest of article.

In reply toRe: msg 1

The Truth About Teacup Cats

Whether you call them teacup cats, dwarfs, or miniatures, there’s no denying the cuteness of these fun-size felines. But the breeding practices that go into creating such a small cat could lead to a host of health problems for the pet and a host of heartaches for the pet parent. Here’s what you need to know before spending big bucks on a tiny cat.

What Is a Teacup Cat?

Teacup cats are cats who have been bred to be as small as possible. While most adult cats weigh around 9 to 10 pounds, teacup cats are bred to be about two-thirds that size, says Dr. Jane Brunt, a feline veterinarian at Cat Hospital at Towson in Baltimore, Maryland, and the executive director of The CATalyst Council, a group dedicated to promoting the health, welfare, and value of the companion cat. Some adult teacup cats weigh as little as 5 or 6 pounds, she says.

Read rest of article.

In reply toRe: msg 2

The Teacup Dog: Everything you need to know

They may look cute and easy to carry around, but the truth is that teacup dog breeds have many health and psychological issues during their whole life. This ...

Kid (Kidmagnet)

I did not know they "teacupped" cats too. One of ours (the rescue) is small but not intentionally.

Lyndy (Lyndy7)

this article has been featured in today's Delphi Daily News! Join In!

Some comment about how small my Chihuahua is but she is a standard AKC size at 6 pounds, these tiny 2.5 pounders are NOT in standard and are scary delicate.

I have a poodle friend who lives in a high rise in New York City. She does not drive, but takes taxis and subways to get around the city. So when she takes her dogs, she has to either carry them or put them in a wheeled carrier. Either way, she wants her toy poodles as small as possible, around 3 or 4 lbs since she usually has 2 toy poodles at a time. She has a favorite breeder that she uses who does not try to create smaller toy dogs but when she does get a small one, she lets my friend know if she is looking to buy another dog to replace one of hers that has passed.

So if you want a small dog that just happens to be smaller than the rest of the litter of a reputable breeder, you have to be willing to wait for the puppy.  Breeders who breed small dogs intentionally very rarely consider the health of the parent dogs when breeding and are mostly just trying to make money. 

I personally wanted a miniature poodle that was bigger than the accepted AKC size because we were used to larger dogs. Tiny dogs are darling to look at but I would forever be worrying about stepping on them or sitting on them or rolling over onto them when sleeping in bed.

Thank you for posting this, there are still a lot of people who don't know that teacup breeding causes health issues. It really is inhumane, I would rather rescue an animal and be uncool than have one that fits in a designer purse!