All Pets Big and Small

Hosted by PennyCC|DoGently Blog

This forum is for people who love animals. Some people only want dogs or cats as pets. Others like a variety of pets. Let's talk about all pets in all places.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

FEATURED RABBIT: Netherland Dwarf   Other Mammals

Started May-6 by PennyCC; 318 views.
PennyCC

May-6

FEATURED RABBIT:  Netherland Dwarf

6 May 2017

The Netherland Dwarf is a breed of domestic rabbit that originated in the Netherlands. Weighing 1.1–2.5 pounds (0.50–1.13 kg), the Netherland Dwarf is one of the smallest rabbit breeds. Its popularity as a pet or show rabbit may stem from its neotenic appearance. The Netherland Dwarf is recognized by both the American Rabbit Breeders Association (ARBA)[1] and the British Rabbit Council (BRC). The Netherland Dwarf is often confused with the Polish breed of rabbit, but the latter has longer ears, a non-brachycephalic head, and less cobbiness. [Wikipedia]

My new adorable netherland dwarf baby bunnies

Thanks for watching, please subscribe for more bunny cuteness! * * * please follow me on instagram https://instagram.com/stepheniespets/ * * *

In reply toRe: msg 1
PennyCC

May-6

My Personal Experience with Netherland Dwarf Rabbits

The average life span of a breeding Netherland Dwarf rabbit is 5 to 6 years. By spaying or neutering early in life, you can increase their life expectancy to around 10 years.

I bought two Netherland Dwarf rabbits about 25 years ago to keep in an apartment that did not allow pets. Rabbits do not make noise, you can keep them in a cage and even litter box train them so that they use a corner litterbox. If you need to leave home for a day or two, you can leave enough water and food to accommodate them for brief absences.

One of my rabbits died young when a caretaker let them run around in his backyard and it fell into some deep water.  The other rabbit lives for more than 10 years.

Abbott the Rabbit traveled cross country in a car with us when we moved and he once flew on a plane with me during the moving process. He was not a cuddly bunny but he was smart and gave me a lot of entertainment value. If for some reason I cannot have a dog again, I do think I would have another bunny.

Please note that since Netherland Dwarf rabbits are very small, around a pound or two, that they are not usually recommended in a home with small children who could hurt or scare them easily. A larger, more cuddly rabbit like a Lop-eared rabbit might be a better choice with children.

• Edited May 6, 2018 1:34 pm  by  PennyCC
Lyndy (Lyndy7)

May-15

this story and forum have been featured in today's Delphi Daily News ~ Join in!

http://forums.delphiforums.com/news1/messages/?msg=2884.1