All Pets Big and Small

Hosted by PennyCC|DoGently Blog

This forum is for people who love animals. Some people only want dogs or cats as pets. Others like a variety of pets. Let's talk about all pets in all places.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What happens to pets whose owners die?   Pet Talk

Started May-12 by PennyCC; 664 views.
PennyCC

May-12

Owning a pet is a responsibility. But what happens when an owner dies, and nothing was provided for the dog or cat? Hopefully there is a family member who will take care of the pet. If not, the animal will likely be turned over to a shelter.

That is what happened to 4-year-old Regan. When she was rescued from the shelter into foster care, Regan wanted to hold her rescuer's hand on the car ride home.

In reply toRe: msg 1
PennyCC

May-12

I GOT LUCKY,  WHEN MY HUSBAND PASSED MY SON WHO WE WERE LIVING WITH KEPT THE DOG BECAUSE HIS SON WANTED A DOG.    MY SON AND HIS WIFE ARE VERY ALLERGIC TO DOG HAIR.  SO I KEEP THIS LITTLE GUY SHAVED OR CLOSE CROPPED DEPENDING ON THE TIME OF YEAR.  HE IS DOUBLE COATED.  BRED  WHAT EVER.  SOME POM,  BUT MOSTLY WHO KNOWS.   BUT HE IS SO CUTE.  HE WAS AN OLD DOG 13 WHEN MY HUSBAND GOT HIM.  HE DID NOT ASK HE JUST ADOPTED AND BROUGHT HIM HOME.  THE DOG ADORED MY HUSBAND.  HOSPICE WAS SO GOOD THAT WHEN MY HUSBAND DIED THEY PUT THE LITTLE GUY ON THE BED WITH HIM.  HE LAID BESIDE HIM TILL THEY CAME TO TAKE HIM AWAY.    HE IS A SWEET LITTLE GUY BUT HASN'T HAD MUCH IN THE WAY OF INTERACTION WITH A LOVING FUR PARENT.  NOW HE SLEEPS WITH ME.  AND WILL NOW SIT IN MY LAP FOR LOVING.  BEFORE HE JUST WANTED DOWN.  HE IS STILL AFRAID TO BE PICKED UP.    THAT IS ONE STORY OF WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THE OWNER DIED.  

PennyCC

May-14

Thanks for sharing that lovely story. I think our dogs are our little angels who help us in this life, and in your husband's case, helped him pass on to the next life.

I firmly believe our pets will be there to greet us when we pass over.

ALL DOGS GO TO HEAVEN,  CATS  WHO KNOWS  SOME ARE TO INDEPENDENT  IN THEIR THINKING.  HAD ONE AN ABBY THE MOST STUCK UP CAT I HAVE EVER KNOW.  DO NOT LOOK AT ME, DO NOT TOUCH ME.  JUST PUT THE FOOD AND WATER WHERE I CAN FIND IT AND LEAVE.  SHE WANTED NO HUMAN CONTACT AT ALL. 

Gaelspirit

May-17

Every cat I ever had was very affectionate with me! Got lucky I guess. :)

DShadowZ

May-20

This happened recently a breeder died and left 5 dogs behind, she had it in her will what to do. Her son kept the oldest dog another relative took another older dog and two went to a friend who was a breeder too. The last dog went to a neighbor who had loved this dog who was also younger. The neighbor had watched the dogs for the lady who died when she was away and never would take any pay but wanted this 4 year old since she was a puppy.

Gaelspirit

May-20

So a happy ending I guess then? As long as those people are the ones she wanted to get them - which I assumed they were. :)

PennyCC

May-21

This is what we are planning. It sounds like the best solution for this breeder.

My sister or my sister-in-law will contact the breeder who gave us our dogs to let them decide if something happened to me and my husband both. Unfortunately we do not have friends that could take our dogs and my sister has too many pets as it is. I don't think my sister-in-law wants more pets. So the best we can do is make sure the caring breeders we used will find homes for our dogs if the worse case scenario happens.

THE ONLY ONE WE EVER HAD THAT WASN'T WAS THE HOT RED ABBY.   CAT OUR OCICAT  WAS A LOVER.  IF SHE WAS ACROSS THE STREET AND SAW ONE OF US SHE WOULD RUN MEOWING ALL THE WAY TILL SHE GOT TO US. THEN IT WAS IN AND OUT YOUR LEG TILL YOU PICKED HER UP AND CUDDLED HER.  SHE WAS A LOVE.  SO WAS TC A STRAY WHITE AND ORANGE TOM CAT WHO CAME TO THE DOOR AND SAID THANK YOU KINDLY I WILL LIVE HERE.  THE TOW ANGORA AND 2 HALF ANGORA SIAMESE WE HAD SAID OK.  SO WE THEN HAD FIVE CATS.  LAW ONLY ALLOWED 3  SO WHAT WE KEPT THEM. THEY WERE INSIDE OUTSIDE CATS.  SO WHO COULD COUNT.  ALWAYS GOING IN AND OUT.  WHEN WE MOVED WE MOVED ALL FIVE OF THE CATS AND A POM MIX.   I DON'T LEAVE MY KIDS WHEN I MOVE WHY SHOULD I LEAVE MY FUR KIDS.   SO MANY DO.