All Pets Big and Small

Hosted by PennyCC|DoGently Blog

This forum is for people who love animals. Some people only want dogs or cats as pets. Others like a variety of pets. Let's talk about all pets in all places.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Ear Cropping and Tail Docking   Pet Talk

Started May-25 by PennyCC; 793 views.
PennyCC

May-25

My miniature poodle Dakota has his dew claws intact and also an undocked tail. Most poodles in the US have docked tails, which means that several inches were removed from the end of their tails when the puppies were a few days old. That is why you usually see a poodle with a straight tail that was docked to either short or medium length. 

Here are a few pictures of my poodle which shows his curly tail. Some dogs with undocked tails could have less curvy tails than Dakota, but when you keep cutting off the ends of poodle's tails and then decide it is an unnecessary procedure because you are not showing the dog, you never know how straight the natural tail will end up being.

I have gotten used to Dakota's curly tail and am glad that the breeder I used considered the health of the dog was more important than the accepted appearance. Since most of the breeder's dogs were used in dog performance (agility, obedience, etc), tail docking and dew claw amputation was considered unnecessary.

• Edited May 25, 2018 12:25 pm  by  PennyCC
In reply toRe: msg 1
PennyCC

May-25

Why Some Think It’s a Bad Idea

Tail docking is banned in many parts of the world, including Australia and the U.K. In the U.S., these procedures are unregulated -- meaning they are not banned or controlled. But they are highly controversial. New York and Vermont have considered legislation to ban them, but neither state has so far.

The American Kennel Club (AKC) says the practices are “integral to defining and preserving breed character” in certain breeds. But the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) opposes docking and cropping. “The most common reason for cropping and docking is to give a dog a certain look. That means it poses unnecessary risks,” Patterson-Kane says.   

Read rest of article.

it seems hurtful and unnecessary to me

PennyCC

May-31

There is a frame of mind in the US that certain breeds should look certain ways and it is built into the national clubs of breeds like poodles that require tail docking if you want to show the dog. Other countries are doing away with ear cropping and tail docking, although some sport breeds are getting exemptions because a shorter tail is safer in some hunting circumstances.

These cosmetic determinations, which in the case of poodle has eliminated multicolored poodles from acceptable conformations for dog shows, are completely arbitrary but have been in effect for so long, I do not know if they will ever change.  If a dog breed is not being shown, then people can do with the dog whatever they want, which means allowing the ears to be uncropped in breeds like Great Danes and not docking tails in other breeds like poodles.

The downside to not breeding to a certain conformation is that health tests are sometimes thrown out the window along with breeding to a certain standard of appearance. Then you get dogs bred without much consideration to health at the same time.

My poodle breeder bred for health and dog performance competitions and she does not show the dogs from all her litters. The buyers of her poodles requested that she not dock the tails or remove dew claws. Thus far, my poodle has been in excellent health when previously I lost a miniature poodle at 4 years because he had epilepsy. So health trumps arbitrary show conformation in my book.

• Edited May 31, 2018 11:46 am  by  PennyCC

Health should always trump all else IMO

Yes epilepsy is known to run in several breeds genetically and as in humans can also pop up for no known reason (I have the latter variety and it is controlled on meds but that does not mean it is easy to live with) 

dachshunds, dalmations and smaller poodles were among the most frequently cited with genetic epilepsy and it should be a red flag to a breeder but not all breeders are aware of this

Mrini786

Jun-1

Well,this banned in India too. Earlier Dobbermann and Rottweiler commonly underwent through tail docking. But after the stricter rules it almost rare to see breeds with docked tails. So stricter rules I guess is teh answer.

• Edited June 1, 2018 10:27 am  by  PennyCC

i wish no one had ever thought of doing things like this as a cosmetic improvement. Dogs are often at their prettiest when they feel their best.

How can they always feel their best when people mutilate them?

You are prob right about the stricter rules.

DShadowZ

Jun-6

I think its unnecessary as well. But I am a Belgian Sheepdog fancier so I really guess I have no horse in this race.

Penny I think Dakota is beautiful the way he is.

i don't really have a dog in this race myself either because i am mainly a cats person. But i am against mutilating an animal for any perceived appearance or convenience of owners.
I am against declawing of cats, too.

PennyCC

Jun-7

I am sorry to say that I had one cat declawed when she was tearing up the apartment that we were living in. I was stupid and young but blame myself for being ignorant on how to handle her misbehaving and I also blame the vet who told me that it was no big deal as long as the cat was kept inside. This cat later started biting people because I am sure she felt defenseless without her nails. I am totally against this practice and wish that vets would council people to consult animal trainers or behaviorist instead of offering surgery to handle cats scratching up doors, walls, and furniture.