All Pets Big and Small

Hosted by PennyCC|DoGently Blog

This forum is for people who love animals. Some people only want dogs or cats as pets. Others like a variety of pets. Let's talk about all pets in all places.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Why did you pick your dog breed?   Dogs

Started May-31 by PennyCC; 795 views.

I have never gone out or bought nor even really selected a pet, my personal pets have all been rescue or feral types.  The cat above is a fully tailless Manx that was a kitten of a feral adult, all the others were given away, he stayed close and in the house until he got pizzaed on the roadway.  The Chihuahua was a running loose rescue, doing fine and is no further away from me than a healthy gas attack.  My prior dogs were a 20 pound Doxie and a 7 pound Papillon that lived their whole lives with me, the doxie came via my parents, the pap was a pound puppy.

HWPeeler (HPeeler)

Jun-10

Corgi owner here, but it is debatable if we own her or she owns us.

Personality was the reason. She used to be a show dog but got cysts of her ovaries, removed same, end of breeding and show life when we got her. Very well behaved and intelligent. She loves everybody.

kizmet1

Jun-11

I wanted a white, female,toy poodle puppy. Somehow, I ended up with a brown, male, minature mostly grown poodle. My mother called childhood neighbors who bred and showed poodles and others. We went to visit. Only available one was too big , too old and too frisky. Went home feeling sad. A few months later we got a call to see a half-brother. I didn't want to go but my mother forced me. The dog jumped on the couch I was on and sat on my skirt so I couldn't move. I was petrified he would bite me if I did. He went home with us that day. He was already called Rebel and he lived up to it. Refused to sleep in the kitchen. Cried and howled until he was taken to sleep outside my br. Wouldn't give my mother her chair until she made dinner. Wouldn't let her wake me in the morning (I had mono and anemia). He would walk around the edge of my bed, playfully nipping at her until she left the room.
I feel like he died just last week but it has been a lifetime. I don't think I can ever love a dog like I loved this one.
PennyCC

Jun-12

I love your description of Rebel. He does sound like a dog of a lifetime. I wish we could keep them longer.

kizmet1

Jun-12

It is like they are trained by guardian angels.  In fact, there were times when he would be gazing at something only he could see and all if a sudden his ears would wiggle or he would #### his head like he was taking orders.  I would look all around the room.to see if a fly ir spider was on the wall but there was nothing there.

PennyCC

Jun-14

Once I was outside taking pictures of a pretty bird in the backyard, not watching where I was stepping, and I fell over some uneven surface and sprained my ankle. I was lying there on the ground in pain trying to figure out if I could get up, and my dog Phoenix burst through the doggie door and froze, looking at me very intently, just as if she knew I was in dire straights. That gave me the courage to get up and hobble inside where my husband sat completely unawares that I had hurt myself.

Yes, I do think our dogs are little angels who help us in so many ways. They deserve the best we can give them.

kizmet1

Jun-14

Perfectly said. They know when to comfort and when to tease.
Wolfenblu

Jun-26

When I was a little girl we had English Shepherds I loved them. But then I met my uncles dog Max a German Shepherd he wasn't your typical saddle back of the 1950s but a dark dog with markings more like a dobie. He was the smartest dog I had ever seen. My uncle could strap on his pack and send him to the store with a list. I went with him a few times and hung back and watched how he did it he would slip in or someone who knew him would let him in he would go sit by the register until the clerk had time to take his list and fill it and then he would go to the butcher shop he was not allowed in there so he would look in the window until the butcher would come and look at his list. He would give Max his package of meat and a bone of his own to enjoy.

Don't unwrap that until you get home now. the butcher would always tell him. He would then go back home.

My uncle had a job where he could only leave the property once a month unless he got someone to stay there.

Before my aunt (his sister) got married she would shop and take Max with her so he knew the routine, he first started just sending Max to the store then Max went to other places on his own soon he could send him to any or all stores. Even sent Max to the shoe store to get his boots resoled once.

Once Max was coming home and a taxi driver picked him up and brought him home because it was pouring down rain. Everyone in town loved and knew Max. None of my German Shepherds were ever as smart as Max but they have been very smart and I have loved every one of them. I have had them for all of my adult life and while I like and appreciate other breeds they are my breed.

PennyCC

Jun-27

It sounds like Max's life would make a very good movie. I can't believe how smart he was. Thank you for sharing.

Queen0Wolves

Jun-30

I was born with a Border Collie by my side I think.

My grandparents never owned another breed, now I have Pyrenees too.

My husband has a German Shepherd Lex who is the smartest dog I ever saw and BC are smart. He will bring my husband tools when he is working on something. Sometimes its not the right tool but he eventually gets there. He also has a Flat coated retriever who will pick up dirty laundry and put it in the hamper Both dogs he can tell to get in the back or the front of his truck and they will. I really want a German Shepherd now to raise up with our little one.