All Pets Big and Small

Hosted by PennyCC|DoGently Blog

This forum is for people who love animals. Some people only want dogs or cats as pets. Others like a variety of pets. Let's talk about all pets in all places.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Tiger is restless.    Cats

Started Jun-29 by darksky12; 292 views.
darksky12

Jun-29

Hello everyone.  I posted back in April but I cannot locate the post. My cat Tiger 8 yr old male, about 10 lbs. tabby.  His buddy died after the New Year, to pancreatic cancer.  I think Tiger is tired of his food, but drinks water.  He never got fond of dry food, that was for Boo.  As far as canned food, I tried many brands. But when I went to the store i took a gander and bought Beyond salmon indoor cat.  He hardly ate it. 

I am at a loss, what next.  He only likes pate and will keeping Fancy Feast for now, he seems the flavors, the either chicken,beef or turkey. He gets me up wee hours and I give him food, he eats a few bites and he scampers back to the bedroom,   I have sleeping on couch, its cooler there.   I read that cats can miss their buddy for months. Its been over 5 months.  I don't know if he would accept another cat in the house for him.  If anyone can lead the way as far as food, i would would appreciate so much.

Darksky12

PennyCC

Jul-1

Have you taken your cat to the vet? It would be good to eliminate any possible physical problems, and perhaps your vet would have some ideas about how to help Tiger.

Also, you might want to post about Tiger on the Feline Forum at http://forums.delphiforums.com/cats

I hope Tiger feels better soon.

Gaelspirit

Jul-2

I agree with Penny that it would be a good idea to have the vet check Tiger to be sure nothing is going on physically. Animals are like people with their grief. Some heal more quickly than others. Maybe try some dry kitten chow in a small size box or bag and see if he would like that. Something on the mild side and not too fancy. I was thinking the smaller pieces might appeal to him. My cat is into the Fancy Feast too, and is very fussy about what she likes, and sometimes stops liking a flavor when she previously ate it. It is possible, if Tiger has not lost a bunch of weight during his grief period, that maybe he eats when you are asleep or not at home. If he is losing weight, of course that is a concern and should be examined by a vet. 

darksky12

Jul-2

Thanks for your reply.  

One of my vets came here when I noticed that Tiger was not eating.  It could be loneliness, his buddy died in beginning of Jan. The vet said it could a food allergy. But what allergen would he have?

He always favored the Fancy Feast pate, different flavors.  Then he got tired of it.  (Boo never cared for wet, he got dry kibble, the thing is he shuns some brands which I cant recall all these years.  So, I tried different brands of wet food for Tiger, one after another.  I see two different vets, he says that it might be allergic to some food the allergen in food.  He said try the elimination diet. If he shuns one brand then try another.  Like trial and error I thought. 

One other thing, I tried the grain free products, my budget will let me pay so much.  I though I could transition him to dry. I got Beyond, which is good brand.  He didn't hardly eat it, I was on the grain free band and nothing else. I read somewhat that "grain free" food isn't all that. Some grains they need.

darksky12

Gaelspirit

Jul-2

You are doing the right thing by trying to different brands and such. I would maybe try a cheaper brand, like plain ole Purina Cat Chow in a small bag or box or the kitten chow as I mentioned earlier. Just get him back to basics, and not worry so much about the fancy dry foods. I had to do that with my cat once, because she stopped eating the fancy grain free food I was buying. I bought cat chow and she gobbled it up, but started gaining weight which she didn't need. Then I gradually went back to the Rachael Ray brand I started her on over a year ago, and she is eating it again. Animals do get allergies sometimes like we do to certain foods. It could be fish allergy, gluten, other types of grain, any chemical additive in the foods, etc...but I think a balanced diet is the best way to go as long as they don't get sick or itchy. Sometimes the "better" foods are not necessarily best for your particular cat. I at one time tried to go the holistic food route, and she just had no interest in it. I ended up giving it away. I'm glad the vet did check your boy tho, but I imagine they want to run tests and such. Gets expensive sometimes, I know. Hang in there! 

darksky12

Jul-3

I appreciate all of your knowledge about cats and foods?   He is 8 yrs, would be ok with the kitten chow. Maybe it will more delicate for his insides.   I was chatting to a agent where I buy most food except when I go to shopping.  They recommended an appetite formula to get him to eat.  Do you think that is be advantage at this point? Its called American Journey Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil Liquid Dog & Cat Supplement.

So, did your cat like Rachel Ray Nutrish in a dry food? But Tiger wont eat anything but pate in cans.

Darksky12  

Gaelspirit

Jul-3

I would still try the kitten chow because it is gentler formula and I am thinking it would be easier for his digestion...OR a senior dry formula for the same reason. 8 years old is technically a senior cat now. When I went to the Chewy site to read about the supplement, it says it's mostly for healthy joints, skin and coat, and immune system. All very good of course, and it is made in the US with quality ingredients. One person who wrote a review did say they use it on an elderly cat and it helped them eat more of their food. So it's really up to you what to do...I am just thinking that you should get back to basics and keep it simple to start over from scratch. Just my opinion. 

Yes, my cat likes the dry Rachael Ray food, the pieces are nice and small too. She only eats pate canned food too. 

PennyCC

Jul-5

I know that people keep saying that dogs and cats need to eat dry kibble to keep the plaque off their teeth, but I think canned food has more moisture and that is better for them than dry kibble. I make sure my dogs eat some kibble at the start of every meal. I add Prozyme, which is a digestive aid, and then give them a little kibble.

Why not let Tiger eat canned pate if that is what he wants and stop worrying about switching him to kibble?

darksky12

Jul-6

The only thing is he wont touch kibble.  what is Prozyme?,  Does that mean to give to him,  about putting on top of wet food for his appetite.
 Did you hear of Alaskan Salmon oil. It suppose to give him a appetite?.  I found it in Chewy. About his food, I put out 1/2 of a 3 oz can and he eats about 1/4.  I put the rest in fridge withe lids.  you bet that he wont eat the leftovers?
darksky12
PennyCC

Jul-8

Prozyme is a digestive aid that helps break down food so that it can be more easily digestive. It is a white powder that you mixed into wet food. You don't just put it on top of the food, you need to mix it in.

I have had dogs with digestive difficulties that were helped using Prozyme. But if your cat is digesting food okay, you do not need this product. Prozyme will not increase appetite.

Again, why try to switch you cat to kibble if he does not want to eat it. Just feed him canned food. Some cat do fine eating canned food.