All Pets Big and Small

Hosted by PennyCC|DoGently Blog

This forum is for people who love animals. Some people only want dogs or cats as pets. Others like a variety of pets. Let's talk about all pets in all places.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

FEATURED GUINEA PIG: Peruvian   Small Mammals

Started Jan-3 by PennyCC; 236 views.
PennyCC

Jan-3

FEATURED GUINEA PIG:  Peruvian

2 Jan 2018

Peruvian guinea pigs are the best known and most spectacular of the long haired guinea pig breeds and their long, silky hair can grow to floor length (12 to 14 inches) or even longer in show specimens. They were one of the first long haired breeds to be selectively bred for showing in the fifteenth century. As their hair is so long, they can sometimes be mistaken for wigs and attract many comments ranging from “Which end is which?” to “May I pat it?”

Read rest of article.

Lifespan: 4 – 8 years
Weight: 1.5 – 2.6 lbs (Adult)
Length: 7.9 – 9.8 in. (Adult)

Did you know?: There are four basic types of domestic guinea pigs, which can be identified by their hair type:

1. American/English: short, smooth coat or hair.
  2. Abyssinian: rough coat with hair that swirls in rosettes.
  3. Peruvian: straight hair that is long and silky.
  4. Teddy Bear: dense, rough coat. Similar to Abyssinians, but without the rosettes. [petco.com]
In reply toRe: msg 2
PennyCC

Jan-3

Peruvian Guinea Pig gets a BATH

Ever wondered how to give a guineas pig a bath? This video will show you how to safely bathe your piggy as well as care for long haired guinea pigs. The guin...

In reply toRe: msg 3
PennyCC

Jan-3

How To: Trim a Long Haired Guinea Pig

How To: Trim a Long Haired Guinea Pig --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ? Socia...

In reply toRe: msg 4
PennyCC

Jan-3

Peruvian Guinea Pig - Care Guide, Tips, and Breed Information

The Peruvian guinea pig is the ultimate ice-breaker for friends and family coming over for dinner. This majestic-looking guinea pig with long, flowing hair is truly a unique breed of guinea pig and not your average household pet. Compared to the common American guinea pig, the Peruvian is almost like an unicorn cavy.

Read rest of article.

Off topic:

Does it taste any different than the typical kitchen pet of the Peruvians?

PennyCC

Jan-3

Why did you have to say that, Warren?   I know many animals we consider pets are eaten by people somewhere in the world. It is just something I don't like to think about.

(Doesn't all unusual types of meat taste like chicken?)

Not at all, the rabbits we raised were white meat but certainly not chicken, same for the bantams and doves.  A neighbor raised quail as well, everything remotely like food has its own character.  My cousins had Guinea Fowl, ducks and geese as well as turkeys, all meat animals.  We ate Ferdinand, a young sort of pet bull we raised from a calf on a teat bucket to on the table.  Rural folks, hunters and farmers are pragmatic, if it is food, it gets eaten.

PennyCC

Jan-4

I would starve if I were a farmer. I just don't have the "right stuff" to handle raising food animals.  My green thumb is not so green either.