An Arm and a Leg -  Shocking taxes on Canadian cars (253 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 19) 

Time to put a heavy tax on Canadian electricity going to the U.S.A that we send for decades!

Canada and the U.S. are trying to agree on a text that could be submitted to the U.S. Congress by month's end in order to join the deal the Trump administration signed with Mexico last week.

Trump warns of 'devastating' taxes on Canadian cars

WASHINGTON -- President Donald Trump said Friday he does not want to hurt Canada's economy but also warned that if he imposes taxes on cars it would be "devastating" for the neighbouring country.

"If I tax cars coming in from Canada, it would be devastating. But I don't want to do that," Trump told reporters aboard Air Force One. "I do use that as leverage in negotiating, where they don't want to give us some points. I say, that's ok, I'd rather tax your cars coming in, and I win a lot of points because of it."

Trump spoke on route to Fargo, North Dakota, while Canadian Foreign Minister Chrystia Freeland was meeting in Washington with U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer. They have been trying to reach a deal that would allow Canada to remain in a North American trade bloc with the U.S. and Mexico.

After a two-hour meeting, Freeland told reporters that "you could say at this very intense point that we are really in a continuous negotiation." Freeland did not say whether the negotiations would continue later Friday or next week. Lighthizer plans to see European Trade Commissioner Cecilia Malmström next week in Brussels.

MORE The Canadian Press 08/09/2018

https://ca.yahoo.com/finance/news/trump-warns-apos-devastating-apos-193921889.html

Reply   Options 

To: All  (2 of 19) 
 1429.2 in reply to 1429.1 

Trump presages heavy and shocking taxes on Canadian cars, would we even care? 

Trump is threatening to move ahead on a deal that excludes Canada, but he also needs a win on trade ahead of midterm elections in November that will test his ability to keep control of Congress.

MORE

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/canada-u-resume-nafta-talks-080004577.html

To: APH0rism unread  (3 of 19) 
 1429.3 in reply to 1429.1 

There's something missing, or am I missing it about Trudeau?

How on earth can a failed part-time drama teacher discuss business with Donald Trump?

To: All  (4 of 19) 
 1429.4 in reply to 1429.1 

MORE THERE:

zap  Last week, the U.S. and Mexico reached a preliminary agreement to replace the 24-year-old North American Free Trade Agreement. But those talks excluded Canada, the third NAFTA country.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/ranaki_yacking/messages/?msg=7756.1

To: APH0rism unread  (5 of 19) 
 1429.5 in reply to 1429.1 

BUY JAPANESE CARS!!! 

I am sure Canada got them already!!

To: misspig9y  (6 of 19) 
 1429.6 in reply to 1429.5 

Every American car got some Japanese mechanic spare-part... beats me how? 

To: ANCH0RMAN unread  (7 of 19) 
 1429.7 in reply to 1429.6 

MITSUBISHI -- all cars have a piece of it!!!

grinning

To: APH0rism unread  (8 of 19) 
 1429.8 in reply to 1429.1 

I WOULDN't PANIC!!

Hold on to your old car! wink

To: APH0rism unread  (9 of 19) 
 1429.9 in reply to 1429.1 

It is already great that Trump did not charge Canadians for past tarrif dues!!

blush

To: APH0rism unread  (10 of 19) 
 1429.10 in reply to 1429.1 

Forget about American cars and Canadian cars, think more for small European cars!

leaves

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-19
Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.