Family - Relationships -  My 18 year old daughter (62 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 4) 

My daughter was diagnosed with Aspergers at 8, she has struggled with friendships, not making them, but keeping them.  She is home from university now for summer and all the old problems have come back.  She is hypersensitive to everything we say and cant understand house rules as she has been away for a year.  She seems to misunderstand all of us, especially her 21year old sister who is very direct with her and done very well in life.  There are fireworks most nights and we are all finding it very stressful and our 18 year old daughter seems more unhappy then ever and so lonely. Help

Reply   Options 

From: Merrill (sudsywudsy) DelphiPlus Member IconJul-27 9:54 AM 
To: VerityLester  (2 of 4) 
 6303.2 in reply to 6303.1 

Hi,

Ask her what types of things and activities she likes to do, and look for clubs, Meetups.com, volunteering etc. where she can be with others. 

Best, 

Merrill 

To: Merrill (sudsywudsy) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 4) 
 6303.3 in reply to 6303.2 

Thank you for getting back to me, we are trying all of what you suggested. she does get so lonely and cannot keep friends  Its been a bad week really for her, 

Thanks again

Verity

From: Merrill (sudsywudsy) DelphiPlus Member IconJul-27 12:04 PM 
To: VerityLester  (4 of 4) 
 6303.4 in reply to 6303.3 

You are very welcome!  I feel for her.... It's so difficult.  Big hugs to her and to you. 

More suggestions are social skills classes with peers, dances for the developmentally disabled. A local search on Google might help find activities. 

Take good care! 

-Merrill 

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.