Galaxies Astronomy Club

Hosted by Cstar1|Galaxies & More!

We keep our star talk down to earth! Beginning stargazers, professional astronomers, armchair astronauts and the cosmologically curious are all invited to join us. Galaxies Astronomy Club was founded in 1994.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Solar Eclipse - August 21st   News

Started 4/2/17 by Cstar1; 4629 views.
In reply toRe: msg 3
Cstar1
Host

Jul-2

In reply toRe: msg 4
Cstar1
Host

Jul-3

In reply toRe: msg 5

It will take me about 12 to 14 hours to get to the centerline around Stapleton, Nebraska.

Ordered solar safety film and other stuff about a year ago.

Cstar1
Host

Jul-4

You're going? How exciting! 

In reply toRe: msg 7
Gary (GARY479)

Jul-5

We live in TN and should be no more than an hour away.

Cstar1
Host

Jul-5

I'm not planning on going closer, but it would be no more than a couple of hours away to get to the eclipse line. 

Gary (GARY479)

Jul-8

We had one in OR in the 80's so it is not critical but gd has never seen one 'live.' Would be nice to find a chicken farm as the roosters will crow.

Cstar1
Host

Jul-8

Gary (GARY479) said:

Would be nice to find a chicken farm as the roosters will crow.

LOL

Definitely going. Been building some solar safety film cells for telescopes and cameras. I am very surprised that everyone isn't already sold out of Baader Solar Safety Film, like they were in 2012 with it all back-ordered until about a week *after* the Venus transit.

Having gotten burned with that, I sort of went hog wild last November or October and bought enough of the material to handle all of my optics then doubled it to allow for loss, breakage, or others who failed to plan ahead.

It was being unable to obtain that film in 2012 is why all my Venus transit pictures are green, because I had to resort to a #12 welder's filter.

[eta - I've been trying to practice photography of the partial phase by getting pictures of sunspots, but alas, there haven't been any sunspots show up. Now I'm reading that we may be hitting a deep solar minimum, and the reason I haven't seen sunspots is maybe there aren't any.  Guess I need to check SOHO and other solar observation sites and be sure. ]

But I figure that by the time the 2024 eclipse arrives, I'll be old enough that a lot of actuarial and statistical figures regarding health and finances of the elderly may be working against me to where I'd not be able to see it even though it's only a 5 hour drive to reach the centerline, not 14 to 15 hours. If I make that one I will consider it a real bonus, but don't want to risk missing this one and then be physically or financially unable to do the next one.

Cstar1
Host

Jul-11

Wow - you really are going prepared!

I hope you'll share your photos with us.