The Carolinas -  Lawyer and Uber Driver Catches Lying Cop (176 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Glen (GEAATL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostMar-11 2:17 AM 
To: All  (1 of 7) 

Washington Post

One of the first things Jesse Bright did after being pulled over by police on a recent Sunday afternoon was turn on his phone and begin filming. Bright was driving for Uber to make some extra cash, but he works full-time as criminal defense attorney in North Carolina. As a lawyer, he said, he believes strongly that when people record their interactions with police, it helps reduce confusion if their cases end up in court. As he aimed his phone in the direction of officers and recorded, Bright was surprised to hear Wilmington police Sgt. Kenneth Becker tell him that there was a new state law that prohibited him from recording police. Bright told The Washington Post that he knew better — no such law exists in North Carolina. “Hey, bud, turn that off, okay?” Becker said. “No, I’ll keep recording, thank you,” Bright responded. “It’s my right.” “Don’t record me,” the police sergeant said. “You got me?” “Look,” Bright said, “you’re a police officer on duty. I can record you.” “Be careful because there is a new law,” Becker said. “Turn it off or I’ll take you to jail.” “For recording you?” the video shows Bright asking Becker. “What is the law?” A tense exchange followed, with Becker telling Bright to step out of his car, calling him “a jerk,” then warning him that he “better hope” officers didn’t find something in his vehicle. Bright continued to record, saying, “I know
...[Message truncated]

From: Glen (GEAATL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostMar-11 2:18 AM 
To: All  (2 of 7) 
 9223.2 in reply to 9223.1 
PINAC News
All Jesse Bright wanted was an apology from the North Carolina police officer who told him it was against the law to record cops in public. But the cop refused to take his calls in the week after Bright proved him wrong. So Bright went public So Bright went public with the video, where it quickly went viral, picked up by news sites throughout the world. Now Wilmington Police Sergeant Kenneth Baker is “under investigation” for his actions caught caught on camera that day, showing he not only lied about the law, but lied about having probable cause to search Bright’s car. It doesn’t take much of an investigation to determine that. All one has to do is view Bright’s videos posted below. Then there is the New Hanover sheriff’s deputy who also lied to Bright, affirming what Baker said about a newly enacted law in North Carolina that turned photography into a crime. The two law enforcement officer likely assumed that as a fresh-faced Uber driver, Bright would not know any better. But he is also a licensed attorney...

From: Glen (GEAATL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostMar-11 2:18 AM 
To: All  (3 of 7) 
 9223.3 in reply to 9223.1 

Officers tell driver it's against the law to record police. No it's not

Island Packet
A Wilmington, NC police officer was caught on camera telling an Uber driver that it's against North Carolina law to record police. There is no such law. Now the Wilmington Police Department has launched an internal investigation into the Feb. 26 incident.

From: Glen (GEAATL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostMar-11 2:20 AM 
To: All  (4 of 7) 
 9223.4 in reply to 9223.3 

Additional discussion of similar cases and the legality of photographing/videotaping police from the lawyers at Delphi is in this thread:

Is it a crime to videotape a cop? 

To: Glen (GEAATL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 7) 
 9223.5 in reply to 9223.2 
He's lucky his video survived, most often the phone/camera has a "accident" and the video is lost.  How could it be illegal to film a cop when most often the cops are filming also. Videos which most often also somehow don't exist when there is a question or charges against the officers. Usually the excuse is, "the camera/recorder was not on" or it was malfunctioning at the time.

The courts have ruled numerous times that it IS legal to film cops.

From: Glen (GEAATL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostMar-11 1:19 PM 
To: Lonestar  (6 of 7) 
 9223.6 in reply to 9223.5 

Fortunately, this officer got caught.  The above link to Personal Law's thread on this has some other interesting cases.  As you correctly note, most courts have upheld the right to videotape an officer.

To: Lonestar unread  (7 of 7) 
 9223.7 in reply to 9223.5 

USadly the laws making it illegal to photograph police, still exist in the EU. the one here in Spain dates from the Franco dictatorship, and is quite similar to those used in most North African countries. This will soon change, because enough of such tapes and photos, escape the police, and have turned around enough cases of police misconduct, that when challenged judges are tending not to enforce the law. I have a personal solution as I take a lot of video clips. If my clip is controversial, or likely to be confiscated, I substitute the chip for a clean one, and put the evidence in my shoe. 

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | About Delphi
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.