Coalition of the Confused

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)

Confused malcontents swilling Chardonnay while awaiting the Zombie Apocalypse.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

It's Drop Box Christmas 2019!!   Hostess With The Mostess

Started 12/23/19 by Jenifer (Zarknorph); 6331 views.
ramseylurker

Feb-13

Better late than never: "Feliz Navidad"

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Feb-19

Just in time for Valentine's Day!

Di (amina046)

Feb-19

Que lindo mantener las tradiciones de nuestros pueblos en convivencia.

PTG (anotherPTG)

Feb-19

Google = "How nice to keep together the traditions of our people"

ramseylurker

Feb-19

Jenifer (Zarknorph) said...

Just in time for Valentine's Day!

Looks like I'm late, again.

ramseylurker

Feb-20

Di (amina046) said...

Que lindo mantener las tradiciones de nuestros pueblos en convivencia.

"la cultura de mis viejos, no debemos olvidado" (1:30-1:36)

(Did I get that right? My Spanish is awful, especially when it comes to trying to decipher song lyrics on youtube videos from Patía, where my wife grew up.)

ramseylurker

Feb-20

My wife grew up very poor, in Patía, and six decades ago, my mother-in-law used to wash gold for a living, like many poor afropatiana women did at the time.

When my wife wanted candles to read by at night (education is very important in afropatiana culture), her mother would take her and her siblings to work with her, down to el rio Guachicono, and teach them how to wash gold. She would sing the song in the video below and dance while she washed gold. (Washing gold is hard work.) My wife would then use the gold that she washed to buy candles with in el Bordo, so she could read at night. (The candles came in several sizes. My wife would buy the skinny candles, since she didn´t have enough gold to buy the thick candles.)

Growing up in Patía, my wife learned family values, the value of hard work, the value of an education, and the value of gold.

To this day, my wife is still a bit of a gold snob. It's just a part of her culture.

ramseylurker

Feb-20

Today there´s a monument in the central square of El Bordo, honoring the many afropatianas like my mother-in-law who made a living washing gold in Patía. That statue is called "La Negra"

You can see "La Negra" in this video from 2:50 - 3:00. The lyrics during that portion of the video are as follows:

"En las quebradas y ríos las negras lavaban oro, salía un producto muy fino que lo vendían en el Bordo, ..."