Coalition of the Confused

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)

Confused malcontents swilling Chardonnay while awaiting the Zombie Apocalypse.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Catholicism vs Change   Religion

Started 2/13/20 by Jenifer (Zarknorph); 7393 views.
In reply toRe: msg 19
RGoss99

2/17/20

Adding - my village as with many Catalan areas does not have a nice history with Spain* which is why Catalán is so strong here. Under the Spanish constitution each region has the right to select its primary langauge, as long as Spanish is taught as a second language and not discriminated against. Having said that the majority prefer their optional third language, English. Having said that, even though my village is not a tourist village, we do get day trippers, and lots of Germans on bikes. So if the tourists are not from Spanish speaking Spain and only know Spanish we are polite and respond. However if they come from Spain itself, we pretend we don´t understand and/or respond to them in Catalá. Many languages have code words that say one´s political attitude. For example, if a Spanish citizen, Mallorquin or not refers to my village as "Porrer<<A>>s" the default assumption is that they are conservatives, or just ignorant people from Spanish Spain. Part of this is because of the dictator Franco, who banned the local language. The result of which since my Catalá is academic, my spelling, vocabulary, gramar, etc. is better then the natives my age, because their Catalan had to be learned at home because until Franco died, all education was in Spanish here. The code is fairly easy to pick up. Spanish nouns feminine plural end in "-as" while Catalan equivalents end in "-es" which comes out sounding like |us|. So a Spaniard or local conservative, saying thanks uses three syllables "gra-ci-as"" the locals and the political left say |gra-sieze|. A mixed clue is most of vowels  sound like natives from California so it does not matter what they are, they are like schwa and sound like |uh| except when spoken by a Spanish speaker trying to pass. In Catalunya proper as you near the French border, one can notice a mixture of the local accent plus French. For "thanks" they say "merce" which sounds like |mursuh|. 

In the IPA code there is an interesting problema in English when it comes to the letter "n" as in "-ing" because it is closed to the Spanish "ñ", spelled in Catala as "ny" (the only place where the letter "y" appears in Catalá), in French it is spelled "gne", Italian "gn". Since it is illegal to advertise a sparkling wine as "champagne" unless it come from the province, if a menú her says "xampany" it comes from France, otherwise it is called "cava". 

We have another problema compared to English use of Latin words. firemen "suffocate" a fire and if some inhale too much smoke they become "intoxicated", "constipation" by default refers to the upper part of your body not the lower, an "exit" is a success, but a "success" refers to the successful handling of a crime by the pólice. a "car" is a cart, an "autocar" is a public bus, while an "autobús" is a chartered bus. The car I drive sounds the same as a coach in English but is spelled "cotxe". "Frenos" refers to breaks on a car, but really refers to the reins on a horse. There was a famous light house on the island of pharos in the harbor of Alexandria in Egypt. so a "faro" is lighthouse or a headlight, but if over your front door it is a "farolet". Surnames and some proper nouns are even more complicate, especially in newspaper headlines. For example "Pastor" can be a man´s name, shepherd, sheep dog,  or the rector of the parish church. so sometimes I have to read the article to get the meaning from context. Another complication is the shift between "G" and "W" between Latin and German words. so "gual" in a place name, isfrom "wald" in German and refers to a wooded área. similar problem in English with guard and warden. In the American colonies one was named after the baron de la Ware (from French - Guerre)" (state of Delaware). 

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

2/18/20

Thank you for the first half of the post.  It was most informative.

Sadly, you had to resort to scolding in the end.

RGoss99 said...

South America south of Venezuela and Columbia

Damn that spell-check!

MEDDLY

2/18/20

clap

And the idiot swears knowing/understanding the Spanish language.

¡Es un MORÓN!

Di (amina046)

2/18/20

Quite a journey! While I could converse with you in more than one language, I would have to skip serbo-croatian.

However I should really give you a G since you did not answer my question, namely what is your mothertongue?

Di (amina046)

2/18/20

LOL es lo que pensé!

RGoss99

2/18/20

Please not that in the part to which you objected, I asked a question which you chose not to answer, thus (wank). It was not a scold, it was a requestification of your critique of my previous post, which you seem to be able to justify, thus making you the troll in this example.

RGoss99

2/18/20

it is can be spelled both ways as in "Columbus" after which it is named.

(Wank) for rudely ignoring the post to which you refer, but having some personal need to respond anyway. This suggests that your ego can´t handle the fact that you have nothing intelligent to say on topic, so you resort to trolling and thread hijacking.

RGoss99

2/19/20

You asked a specific question, so a "G" for you for ignoring the first words i posted after your question "Scots from grandparents" since later I added that I learned English in school.

RGoss99 said...

it is can be spelled both ways as in "Columbus" after which it is named.

Try telling that to a Colombian. (And make note all those o's in Cristóbal Colón and Cristoforo Colombo, while you are at it.)

Don't let this happen to you!

RGoss99 said...

(Wank) for rudely ignoring the post to which you refer, but having some personal need to respond anyway.

It it obvious to everybody but you that I actually read your post, and responded to it. I also read your comments above regarding spell-check. 

I generally ignore most spelling errors that I see, but this one just happens to be a pet peeve for me due to personal reasons, so of course I feel a personal need to respond to your post, like many folks with the same pet peeve. At least I responded with a light hearted joke about spell-check, rather than with the method in the video above. 

If you don't want folks with personal pet peeves to respond to your posts, then I suggest that you make note of the first comment to the video above:

Three things you can do to piss off Colombians:
 (1)-spell it with the U Columbia
...[Message truncated]
View Full Message