Coalition of the Confused

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)

Confused malcontents swilling Chardonnay while awaiting the Zombie Apocalypse.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Cosmos   Science

Started 2/28/20 by PTG (anotherPTG); 3020 views.
In reply toRe: msg 14
NISSY (NISSY2)

10/28/21

It would be hard for Musk to do that but he may be considering it. The US government is one of his customers so I doubt if he would do that.

His factory in Germany hasn't opened yet. Environmentalists are delaying it.

It is going to be hard for democracies to settle Mars.

adwil

10/28/21

I think 'settling' will take much longer. I'd envisage research stations to start with and it'll probably start like that on the Moon. Science and technology will continue to advance and what seems impossible now will eventually happen.  I won't be around to see it but that's life.

In reply toRe: msg 16
NISSY (NISSY2)

10/28/21

Humans won't be able to appreciate space travel until they can live a lot longer and live in good health for a lot longer. Distances are so far and light moves just too slow.
adwil

10/28/21

Science will sort that out as long as we don't destroy ourselves first. 

In reply toRe: msg 18
NISSY (NISSY2)

10/28/21

There is a pretty good chance that we will destroy ourselves although life does have ways of resisting what wants to kill it but science can't increase the speed of light and that one is a real bummer. The closest star to Earth is 4.244 light years away meaning a roundtrip will take 8.488 years if transport can be used that will go that fast.

https://www.star-facts.com/alpha-centauri/

Humans may eventually be able to become robots with brains and live a long time.

adwil

10/29/21

"Destroying ourselves"

An astronomical event could do that.

"The closest star to Earth is 4.244 light years away "

The current state of physics suggests we will never exceed the speed of light, but new discoveries and new understandings have already happened. For example quantum entanglement occurs at least 4 times the speed of light and is probably faster. The invention of the Attoclock in 2014 allows us to measure the speed of quantum tunneling, but wasn't possible before that.

It used to be believed that the Hubble Constant was a limiting factor in the expansion of the Universe, but we now know the expansion of the Universe is accelerating and we don't really know why.

A human brain inside a mechanical body might happen one day.  You can't rule it out because humans are incredibly inventive.

In reply toRe: msg 20
NISSY (NISSY2)

10/29/21

Carl Sagan wrote a novel called Contact about the existence of worm holes to connect distant stars and galaxies. And there is Brane-String theory. https://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/10137
adwil

10/29/21

One of my interests. I was a mad astronomer when I was a teenager but sadly my math wasn't good enough to do a degree in it. However I keep my hand in by reading what I can in the field. There are a lot of theories about how the Universe is 'constructed'. How it looks is not how it is.

In reply toRe: msg 22
NISSY (NISSY2)

10/29/21

As a ten year old, astronomy was my first love and then I added other sciences. I still think gravity is the most curious force of all.

My math was great until calculus. I had difficulty grasping the f of x.

adwil

10/29/21

I sympathise. I can remember getting a Teach Yourself Calculus book from the local library. I gave up on it.