Coalition of the Confused

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)

Confused malcontents swilling Chardonnay while awaiting the Zombie Apocalypse.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Cosmos   Science

Started 2/28/20 by PTG (anotherPTG); 3003 views.
In reply toRe: msg 36
NISSY (NISSY2)

10/30/21

That was the point. Warming climes produces more food not only in Greenland but in Canada, Russia and Norway because of longer growing seasons. We just need more people who want more food.

On a side, Norwegian media reported recently that Russia is now producing premiums wines. Vineyards take five years to produce profitable grapes and wine and it has been eight years since the Ukraine related sanctions on Russia. Who was it who said be careful what you wish for?

adwil

10/30/21

"Norwegian media reported recently that Russia is now producing premiums wines."

I thought they always had produced large amounts of wine in Southern Russia.  (Rostov, Krasnodar, Volgograd, Dagestan and Stavropol.)

In reply toRe: msg 38
NISSY (NISSY2)

10/30/21

Previously, the good stuff was from Georgia but Russia is now making good stuff. Armenia makes a decent "cognac".

My cousin was given a bottle of Russian "champagne" on the train somewhere in Siberia by the staff because he showed them some American coins he had with him and one of them was a coin collector. He gave the coincollector about thirty US quarters that had state designations on the obverse. After a couple of hours, they knocked on his door with the bottle. It was the night before we arrived in Irkutsk. My cousin doesn't drink but we enjoyed his bottle.

adwil

10/30/21

Nice story. Like your cousin, I don't drink. 

In reply toRe: msg 40
NISSY (NISSY2)

10/30/21

My cousin lives in Durham, California half of the year and on the coast in the US state of Washington the other half. He and his partner joined us in Oslo for our rail trip from Moscow to Beijing and he and I played about eighty games of cribbage along the way. Our mothers were sisters.

The train from Irkutsk to Beijing didn't have a bar so I whined because I wanted to buy a bottle of vodka to celebrate leaving Russia. One of the stewardesses told me she would sell me a bottle of vodka which is illegal. She sold me a bottle of Genghis Khan vodka that wasn't Russian but Mongolian which we shared with the other travelers in our car. A police lady came by and told us to hide the bottle. Life on the steppes. :)

http://mongolianspirits.com/eng/

adwil

10/30/21

That's interesting. If I actually knew someone who liked vodka, I'd buy them a bottle of Mongolian for Christmas.  

In reply toRe: msg 42
NISSY (NISSY2)

10/30/21

I bought a bottle of Russian vodka about a year ago and I won't open it because it has the latitude where I bought it on the label. I bought it at the Russian settlement of Pyramiden on Spitzbergen Island.

adwil

10/30/21

I remember you posting about Pyramiden.

In reply toRe: msg 44
NISSY (NISSY2)

10/30/21

Yep, Pyramiden was a Swedish mining town that Stalin bought for the USSR and Yeltsin closed it about twenty years ago. Barentsburg is the only town left in Svalbard still mining coal.