Coalition of the Confused

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)

Confused malcontents swilling Chardonnay while awaiting the Zombie Apocalypse.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Corona-Crazies!!   World Wide WTF?

Started Mar-7 by Jenifer (Zarknorph); 7830 views.
jra2750

May-13

I choose EVERYONE WAS DUMBFOUNDED - even the illustrious Dr. Anthony Fauci who on Jan. 21st said that America didn't need to worry about COVID019 - that it wasn't a major threat.

And yet on Tuesday May 12, 2020 the same Dr. Fauci warned a Senate hearing that considering the nature of the beast COVID-19 it might B dangerous to Open Up too soon.  He also said his expertise was in allergies/viruses etc.  He simply gives advice to the administration. 

So then we may assume that Dr. Fauci advised Pres. Trump that COVID-19 WAS NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT.  Logic would suggest that Dr. Fauci is AS responsible for any mishandling of the novel virus as is Pres. Trump...yet Dr. Fauci continues to be the White Knight In this entire pandemic drama while Donald Trump is the Evil Emperor.

RGoss99

May-13

If I accept the accuracy of your Fauci statement, this does not let Trump off the hook. If Trump acted on Fauci´s evaluation, one can´t ignore all the other 

warnings he should have responded to. If Fauci was wrong, and Trump accepted him as the authority, this probably because Fauci was saying what

Trump wanted to hear, which seems to be his problem by surrounding himself with unqualified yes men.

BerrySteph

May-14

jra2750 said:

So then we may assume that Dr. Fauci advised Pres. Trump that COVID-19 WAS NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT. 

Trump doesn't take advice from anyone.

And its ridiculous to suggest that he did.

BerrySteph

May-14

RGoss99 said:

If I accept the accuracy of your Fauci statement ... probably because Fauci was saying what Trump wanted to hear

I'd think you were correct - Trump has an inglorious record of bullying people, including real experts.

jra2750

May-14

I can't argue your point of course.  I stand by my position nevertheless that No one in the entire world knew what this 'novel' virus would be like.  No one - not even the experts.  All are flying by the seats of their pants and grasping at straws.  

I also suggest that none of the preceding civilizations knew anything about the pandemics of their time either but and all of them continued with their daily lives...continuing fighting their wars and trading with other nation-states all the while spreading the viruses of the day...many died but most did not. 

Again:  Pandemics are as natural as breathing.  We ignore that reality at our peril - the peril in this case being LOCKED DOWN for no reason except fear of nature.  

PTG (anotherPTG)

May-14

jra2750 said:

Pandemics are as natural as breathing.

So is culling? Particularly when done by nature?

RGoss99

May-15

Of course no one knew nor do they know now. However you present no evidence that the lock down is based on fear of nature. As far as I can see it is a logical solution based on evidence that the disease is spread by human contact, and is often spread before symptoms appear. So what better way to solve the problem then by separaton until tests can map the disease and a cure is created. Anto "lock down" types use Sweden as an example of an alternative. Sadly that is old news, because the current death rate in Sweden is evidence that their solution did not work.

BerrySteph

May-15

RGoss99 said:

the current death rate in Sweden is evidence that their solution did not work.

Sweden is not doing as badly as people seem to think, at least not yet. 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ - sorted by deaths per million of population

RGoss99

May-15

the key is "not yet" For exasmple when Trump made his first statement America´s "not yet" had not even begun to take of at that time. Every country has a number of context differences which suggests different numbers even if all countries treated the virus in exactly the same way. 

Here is an ironic one. Trump indicated that warming weather will kill the virus.

Yes, in isolation this is probably true. At the same time Sweden is a cold country, where during the early stages, people tend to isolate naturally, good for virus control, but with warming weather people naturally tend to isolate less, go outside mix in streets, shopping, squares - bad for virus control.

Aside: a bit of irony, we are in phase 1 where the rule is restaurants open, but food served only on outside terraces. Big deal yesterday restaurants open but heavy rain made terraces not pleasant, result open but no customers.