Coalition of the Confused

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)

Confused malcontents swilling Chardonnay while awaiting the Zombie Apocalypse.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Italian History and Culture   The U.K and Europe

Started Aug-13 by Jenifer (Zarknorph); 141 views.
Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Aug-13

Jesus!

However, every artist in that period pales in comparison to Michelangelo and DaVince. And, yes, I put DaVince 2nd as an artist. Maybe a distant 2nd.

"In YOUR humble Opinion!"

No need to shout. However, not "humble" at all. I've studied them both, seen their creations along with where they were created, and made an informed decision. DaVinci was the far better engineer, Michelangelo was the far better artist.

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Aug-14

Make Dems Cry Again 2020! (bobrazz) said:

DaVinci was the far better engineer, Michelangelo was the far better artist.

PTG, he's got you there.

PTG (anotherPTG)

Aug-14

Sorry to disagree with you Jen!

The question posed in 1504-1506 in a Florentine competition:  who is the greater genius?

They decided on Michelangelo

But what was the algorithm the "powers that be" used to decide  this outcome? (even assuming no corruption).

They confined themselves to the "art" of the two contestants.

But how can "a mere mortal" judge on the value and substance of genius?

Can you?!

The prize awarded to Michelangelo was Rome and its decoration. And we now have the substantive body of displayed work to bolster up any such decision. (viz: the Sistine Chapel)

All we have from Leonardo is a small group of artistic pieces of which perhaps his most famous resides in a museum in France. His "genius" is however to be found in his sketches and notebooks (with little obvious contemporary commercial value).

Leonardo's Mona Lisa and Michelangelo's David

Only 99% genius?

His "genius" is however to be found in his sketches and notebooks (with little obvious contemporary commercial value).

Interesting viewpoint. I agree his "sketches" are amazing. Oh, and about $50 million for one two sided sketch is hardly "with little obvious commercial value)

I would say, though, that my favorite sculpture by Michelangelo would be the "four unfinished giants" resembling man pulling himself out of stone.

PTG (anotherPTG)

Aug-14

Why Michelangelo Didn't Paint the Last Supper

Monty Python's version of "Why Michelangelo Did Not paint the 'Last Supper.' And for those of you who might be confused, it was Leonardo Da Vinci who painted...

Funny video, thanks. Can one compare, however, "The Last Supper" to the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel? Or to "The Last Judgement" in that same room? 

Then, of course, there is the matter of Michelangelo the artist compared to DaVinci the painter.

Reasonable people, however, can disagree. Especially on a matter so subjective.

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Aug-15

My vote for biggest genius has to be Da Vinci.

We must agree to disagree before this results in fisticuffs.

And I'm pretty sure the Mona Lisa is a self portrait.

That explains the smile.