Coalition of the Confused

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)

Confused malcontents swilling Chardonnay while awaiting the Zombie Apocalypse.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Iceland   The U.K and Europe

Started Oct-21 by Jenifer (Zarknorph); 432 views.
Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Oct-21

adwil

Oct-21

Grimsvotn is playing up. In Iceland, there's always some volcano or faultline or other playing up. It's what happens when your country is astride the Mid Atlantic Ridge and the country is gradually getting larger. There are quite a few active volcanoes in Iceland.

In reply toRe: msg 2
Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Oct-24

adwil said:

There are quite a few active volcanoes in Iceland.

And none of them pronounceable.

adwil

Oct-24

You're thinking of the little one that erupted in 2010 or thereabouts. It took me days to learn to say it correctly... and I still can. Most active icelandic volcanoes are perfectly pronounceable: Hekla, Katla, Krafla, Askja. The current favourite for a new eruption is Grimsvotn which is currently rumbling angrily under the Vatnajokull Glacier. 

In reply toRe: msg 4
Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Oct-25

Can you type the name, then type the phonetic equivalent?

Side note:  Why isn't phonetic spelt fonetic?

adwil

Oct-25

Phonetic. 

All educated people learnt Latin and many Ancient Greek. Originally people spelled words as they sounded and the 'f' sound could be written  'f' or 'ph'. When English spelling was made regular during the 18th and 19th Centuries, scholars looked at Latin and Ancient Greek originals. Whilst in the 16th century, someone could quite correctly write 'fisick' or 'phisick', by the 18th and 19th only 'ph' was correct because the original started with a Greek 'phi'.

English spelling is weird and wonderful and words reflect the language they originally came from.

As for the Icelandic volcano, I can spell it and pronounce it as per the BBC, but I can't write it phonetically or say it like an Icelander. 

In reply toRe: msg 6
Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Oct-26

The phonetic comment was an ironic observation.

Like "Why isn't there another word for thesaurus?"

adwil

Oct-26

I'm definitely not up to speed on your humour especially when you're talking about something that interests me.