Coalition of the Confused

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)

Confused malcontents swilling Chardonnay while awaiting the Zombie Apocalypse.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Avoiding Censorship   World Wide WTF?

Started Jan-11 by Apollonius (Theocritos); 798 views.

Here's an idea:

In reply toRe: msg 1

This is a satire site, however, the idea will definitely be taken up with the same approach as dissidents used the illegal hand-distributed samizdat (underground press) in the Soviet Union.

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Jan-12

I still get a paper delivered.

Actually, the most universally trusted news sources are the local community news paper.

Unfortunately ours ran out of funding and was shut down.

Jenifer (Zarknorph) said:

Actually, the most universally trusted news sources are the local community news paper.

I totally agree with you about this.   They are far from perfect, but at least the issues tend to be real and with a whole lot less ideological weighting.   It's too bad that so many of them have gone.

In reply toRe: msg 1

Germany’s Chancellor Angela Merkel, Donald Trump’s least favorite world leader, has emerged as a champion of free speech for the beleaguered U.S. president and his supporters, while America’s tech monopolies censor and suppress social media according to their whims. As the whole world knows, Trump’s once-hyperactive Twitter account is in permanent suspension due to the alleged “risk of further incitement of violence” after last week’s Capitol Hill riot.

The U.S. president stands convicted in no court of law, and opinions differ as to whether his boisterous address to demonstrators outside the Capitol was incitement or not. Andrew McCarthy, the distinguished former prosecutor turned journalist, says he did; Trump appointee Jeffrey Scott Shapiro says he didn’t. Nonetheless Twitter pronounced summary judgment on Trump.

That is an ominous, in fact terrifying, turn of events. Trump was elected by the people of the United States and is still president, and the action of a handful of social media moguls to prevent a president from communicating with the people is an arrogation of power without precedent in American history. Twitter and Facebook will suspend you for too enthusiastic a defense of the president. Google and Amazon, meanwhile, shut down Parler, an alternative social media platform popular with the American right, and Apple and Google have banned it from their smartphone app libraries and Amazon has closed its website.

Even foreign leaders who hate Trump are aghast.

On Monday, Merkel’s press spokesman characterized Twitter’s silencing of the president as troubling, declaring, “The fundamental right to freedom of opinion is a fundamental right of primary importance. This fundamental right can be impinged only by law and within the bounds that the legislature defines—not by the decision of the management of social media platforms,” Die Welt reported.

Meanwhile, French Finance Minister Bruno Le Maire said he was “shocked” that “the digital oligarchy” could decide to silence a president, calling the big tech companies a “threat” to democracy. “The regulation of digital expression cannot be done by the digital oligarchy itself. The digital oligarchy is one of the threats weighing on states and on democracies”, Le Maire said Jan. 11 on France Inter. “Regulation is necessary, but must be done by the sovereign people, by the governments and by the judiciary.”

Hu Xijin, the editor of China’s official foreign-language newspaper Global Times Jan. 10 tweeted a viral meme from Chinese social media. It shows Trump asking a small child, “Kid, can I borrow your Twitter account?” The boy replies, “I don’t use Twitter, but you can use my TikTok account.” The joke, of course, is that Trump tried to ban TikTok, a social media app that might come in handy for him at the moment.

Hu Xijin meant this as a joke, but it points to a possible solution. During the so-called “color revolutions” in Eastern Europe and Central Asia of the 2000s and the misnamed “Arab Spring” of the 2010s, Western democracy advocates hailed social media as an instrument of subversion against tyrannical governments. A Chinese military website in 2019 denounced the United States for using the Internet to destabilize Hong Kong and, prospectively, Russia. “Utilizing social media to organize anti-government protests in a ‘decentralized’ way, abetting the protesters to challenge the rule of law on the pretext of ‘democracy, freedom and human rights,” and causing conflicts between them and the police – this is exactly a carbon copy of ‘Color Revolution’ that has been staged in East Europe, West Asia and North Africa in the past 20-plus years,”
...[Message truncated]
View Full Message
Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Jan-14

In the end, Twitter, Google and Facebook are private companies who can set whatever rules they like.

To force them to allow Trump to use their platform for his propaganda is, essentially, fascism.

Oh come on.    If Twitter can cancel the president of the U.S. I think it's time to cancel Twitter.

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

They're a private company.

Do you believe that a Christian baker has the right to refuse to bake a wedding cake for a gay couple?

I do.

Of course, I would rather the baker accepted that love is love and "the gays" are not out to get him, but he is a private citizen and business owner who has the right to be as frightened of "the gays" as he wants.

And Twitter has the right to set the rules of their own company.

Also, think of the detox that America is going through without Trump constantly tweeting his bullshit.

Comparing a local bakery to a worldwide multi-billion dollar communication network is absurd.

Donald Trump threatened to break up Big Media.  His biggest mistake was not to follow through on that.  It's an important task for the next president. 

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Feb-13

Biden may be following up on this.

At least in the sense of Social Media companies having to take responsibility for what happens on their platform.

The bakery analogy may be lopsided, but it is apt.