Coalition of the Confused

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)

Confused malcontents swilling Chardonnay while awaiting the Zombie Apocalypse.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Mass shootings in the US   America - all of it

Started 10/3/17 by Jenifer (Zarknorph); 47854 views.
RGoss99

11/7/19

[sorry mistype]

This house party ban, is an over symplistic solution. If one bans house parties, the parties move elsewhere (as in the case of the 14 year old where the botilló was in an abandon warehouse). Houses used for house parties, have owners who can be charged with what happens in these premises. We have a similar problema here, where "snow birds" (people from other parts of Europe, have rural retreats), are held responsable for such parties held on their property both with and without their approval. However in the case of a botilló there is no host, just a mob of young people arrive at some unsupervised location to drink, take drugs, and hook up. (ask yourself what was the motivation of the 14 year old girl - she was not just an innocent walking down the Street). 

When I was teaching in California, the cops were seriously down on irresponsible house parties so they were relatively rare. The party goers had a network solution. They distributed fliers giving a Thomas Guide map location "plus a code that the pólice were unlikely to break" So if they went to the location, not only did they find nothing there, but this meant they were not available to disrupt the activities at the actual location. Here is an example of such a code that I broke for the local pólice involving a drinking party of high school kids at a parking lot behind a warehouse, that could not be seen from the Street. The word was "Valentine", so the date of St Valentine´s day is 14/2 so the party was at a point 14 miles north and 2 miles east of the map point on the flier. This was rather simple, since the particular "party" was in February in the first place. Often the codes are more difficult, but all the kids have to do is be able to relate to something, that is more in their context then that of the adults or the pólice. A common example at my high school would be the name of a sport, say "football" and the numbers for a Saturday party would be the scores from Friday night´s game. Since these parties don´t have infrastructure, they can be organized on a Friday night and advertised, even legally in the personals in Saturdays local paper. Sometimes, to really throw off the pólice, the coded location simply has a poster giving another coded location. In once case where the party location was already determined, someone would simply underline two numbers on a poster that was already in place. Example a for sale sign giving a pone number "662-8926" simply marking 28 and 26 making the location 2.8 miles north and 2.6 miles east of the site.

Instead of banning house parties, what the law should do is license them using existing health and safety, parking, or noise abatement laws to set conditions. 

Related: I had a student who was planning a party at his home while his parents were away. I explained that if it could be proven that a minor had an alcoholic drink at his house, left and had an accident, her parents could successfully sue his parents. The kid was clever, he had the party at his house, but set up a temporary fence cutting his property from the Street, and allowing kids inside who had tickets, and promised not to come inside with any illegal substances. So if the girl did her drinking on the sidewalk or in the Street, his parents would not be legally responsable.

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

11/8/19

Ingenious!!

You're right, if they ban house parties, the parties will just move to places that are likely abandoned, and probably not structurally safe.

BerrySteph

11/8/19

Very interesting.

In reply toRe: msg 214
Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

12/5/19

In reply toRe: msg 216
Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

12/7/19

In reply toRe: msg 217
Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

12/9/19

BerrySteph

12/9/19

Jenifer (Zarknorph) said:

The Saudi shooter who killed three people at a Florida military base had days earlier hosted a dinner party where he showed videos of mass shootings, a US official says.

Wow ... I was just about to condemn a nation based on and applauding terrorism when I came across this:

The official who spoke on Saturday said one of the three students who attended the dinner party hosted by the attacker recorded video outside the classroom building while the shooting was taking place. Two other Saudi students watched from a car, the official said.

Ten Saudi students were being held on the base while several others were unaccounted for, said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity after being briefed by federal authorities.

In reply toRe: msg 216
Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

12/30/19

BerrySteph

12/30/19

Jenifer (Zarknorph) said:

The United States has hit a new high in 2019 but it's an unwanted one with more mass killings taking place than in any other year since the 1970s, and more than 80 per cent of them came as the result of shootings.

Can't be bothered to look it up, but I think its bumped upwards with Trump.

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

1/3/20

Analysis