Coalition of the Confused

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)

Confused malcontents swilling Chardonnay while awaiting the Zombie Apocalypse.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Delta Air Lines jacks up health insurance premiums for unvaccinated employees   America - all of it

Started Aug-27 by Raven2018; 4345 views.
Raven2018

Aug-27

Delta Air Lines jacks up health insurance premiums for unvaccinated employees

Beginning Nov. 1, unvaccinated Delta Air Lines employees will be charged $200 more a month for health insurance premiums as part of a company policy to curb costs associated with the coronavirus pandemic.

What are the details?

Delta CEO Ed Bastian made the announcement Wednesday in an employee memo in which he called the surcharge "necessary" in light of the "financial risk" that unvaccinated employees create for the company.

"The average hospital stay for COVID-19 has cost Delta $50,000 per person," Bastian noted before arguing, "This surcharge will be necessary to address the financial risk the decision to not vaccinate is creating for our company."

"In recent weeks since the rise of the B.1.617.2 variant, all Delta employees who have been hospitalized with COVID were not fully vaccinated," Bastian claimed.

In addition to the monthly health insurance surcharges, unvaccinated employees will also be required to wear masks in all indoor Delta settings "until community case rates stabilize" and will be subject to weekly COVID-19 testing.

Furthermore, starting in October, should an unvaccinated employee contract the virus, they will be forced to remain out of the workplace without COVID protection pay.

"Effective Sept. 30, in compliance with state and local laws, COVID pay protection will only be provided to fully vaccinated individuals who are experiencing a breakthrough infection," the CEO noted.

What else?

The changes are a part of what the executive called a "robust" response to the recent spread of the not-so-conveniently named coronavirus Delta variant. While the company has yet to institute a vaccine mandate for employees, this latest step is clearly an attempt to pressure employees to receive the shot.

Citing the U.S. Food and Drug Administration's granting of full approval to the Pfizer vaccine this week, Bastian said, "The time for you to get vaccinated is now."

"We can be confident that the Pfizer vaccine is safe and effective, and has undergone the same rigorous review for other approved medications to treat cancer and heart disease, as well as other vaccines," he argued. "If you aren't fully vaccinated, I strongly urge you to discuss the issue with your personal physician or health provider."

In May, Delta announced it would require that all new hires be vaccinated against the coronavirus, with some exemptions.

That same month one of Delta's competitors, United Airlines, announced that all 67,000 of its U.S.-based employees had to become fully vaccinated or risk losing their jobs.

https://www.theblaze.com/news/delta-air-lines-unvaccinated-health-insurance-premiums?utm_source

davidnesh

Aug-29

I think they will soon be without pilots. But with the restrictions, there may be no need for planes and pilots. 

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Aug-29

You have to sympathise with Delta Air for the unfortunate name coincidence.

Or not...

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Aug-29

Hello David.

Welcome!  Welcome! Welcome!!

davidnesh said:

But with the restrictions, there may be no need for planes and pilots. 

Good point.

It's all about liability.  If a passenger catches COVID from the flight crew - it's a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Aug-30

John Mulaney is great.

This is his take on Trump being president.

Super funny.

The English language is fun!!!!

Delta airlines I think is named after the geological feature "Delta". The Delta variant is named after a Greek letter.

Raven2018

Sep-1

ROFL!!! He's really funny!!!

CzoeMC

Sep-1

A person with diabetes, heart conditions, cancer, etc. pays a higher workplace insurance premium than those without such conditions, as an example.

A person choosing not to get the vaccine is a risk to all in the same insurance pool as far as heightening medical costs for the entire pool.

Therefore, those who choose not to get the vaccine should pay higher premiums. After all, Covid care is very expensive.

Should all fellow employees share the burden of the cost of the non-vaccinated? Hardly seems fair.

IMHO, pay up, if you won't vax. Put your money where your arm isn't.

*Another example for universal health care, but the un-vaxed would still clog up the hospitals.

• Edited September 1, 2021 8:39 pm  by  CzoeMC
Raven2018

Sep-1

The fact is, that even (some of) those who are vaccinated are contracting Covid-19 for a second time, and even if they have no symptoms they can still be spreading Covid. So, why would they pay a lower insurance premiums?

Perhaps, these vaccinated persons (with breakthrough Covid) are overweight, smoke, drink alcohol excessively, use illegal drugs, have a poor diet, do not exercise, don't get enough sleep, nor religiously wash their hands.

So, shouldn't they have higher workplace insurance premiums?

I am 74 years-old, and I have never had a flu shot, and I have not had the flu in 20 years. I take very good care of myself (in every way) and, consequently, have a great immune system. If I were still employed, it would be unfair to charge me a higher insurance premium, because I have chosen not to get vaccinated.

How about persons, who get the seasonal flu and spreads it? And they live, but the person whom they spread it to dies?

Should people who don't get the seasonal flu shot, pay higher insurance premiums; even though it might be the person who  gets a flu shot, annually, who is spreading the flu not the person who didn't get the flu shot?

There are too many variables, unknowns, and no guarantees to be charging people who don't get the Covid-19 vaccine higher workplace insurance premiums ... than those who are vaccinated.