Coalition of the Confused

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)

Confused malcontents swilling Chardonnay while awaiting the Zombie Apocalypse.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Critical Race Theory y la Invisibilidad   Vent Your Spleen!

Started Jan-3 by I Want Flowers (LiberalDem); 272 views.

There was a time when one had to go to law school to study Critical Race Theory, but with the current hysteria, today it seems that now all you have to do is go to kindergarten. Even the slightest hint of multiculturalism gets labeled as CRT.

Of course, none of this is new, and it goes back centuries. It's purpose is la invisibilidad, that is, to render other cultures and their religions and their histories invisible.  To erase their cultures, their religions, and their histories from memory. As the article says, these anti-CRT laws are memory laws.

Often, Black cultures, Black religions and Black history are targeted for la invisibilidad.

Here's just one recent example:

Anti-critical race theory parents reportedly object to teaching Ruby Bridges book

Anti-critical race theory parents in Tennessee are reportedly objecting to an English language arts curriculum that includes a book by civil rights activist Ruby Bridges, decrying it for not having enough "redemption."

The Tennessean reported last month that parents in Williamson County have been criticizing the "Wit & Wisdom" curriculum for allegedly not being appropriate for young kids and teaching critical race theory concepts. Community members and advocacy groups, the report describes, have objected to the inclusion of books like "Ruby Bridges Goes to School" written by Ruby Bridges, who became the first Black child to integrate a segregated New Orleans school when she was six. 

Robin Steenman, who heads Moms for Liberty's Williamson County chapter, reportedly pointed to this book and others at an education committee meeting, claiming its mention of a "large crowd of angry white people who didn't want Black children in a white school" was too harsh and pointing to the fact that it didn't offer "redemption" at the end, the Tennessean reports. Steenman also reportedly objected to another book about school segregation and expressed disapproval of teaching words like "injustice" and "inequality" in grammar lessons. 

snip--------------------

The detail about the objections to Bridges' book, as flagged by Chalkbeat's Matt Barnum, sparked criticism, with journalist James Surowiecki arguing, "If you're against teaching kids Ruby Bridges' book — the story of a little girl braving mobs of angry protesters in order to integrate her local elementary school — you're not opposed to 'critical race theory.' You're opposed to America's ideals." Journalist Nikole Hannah-Jones also wrote, "This is the end game. That's why these anti-CRT laws are memory laws."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/anti-critical-race-theory-parents-reportedly-object-to-teaching-ruby-bridges-book/ar-AALViSQ?ocid=msedgntp

In reply toRe: msg 1

If you haven't seen the book in question, and don't understand why some folks are so angry about it, and why they want to render it invisible and erase it from memory, here it is, courtesy of the Chicago Children's Museum:

Ruby Bridges Goes to School: My True Story by Ruby Bridges read by our CCM friend Birtukan Feingold

Chicago Children's Museum

CCM friend Birtukan Feingold reads the words written by Ruby Bridges from the book, Ruby Bridges Goes to School: My True Story and published by Cartwheel Books.

katiek2

Jan-6

I Want Flowers (LiberalDem) said:

It's purpose is la invisibilidad, that is, to render other cultures and their religions and their histories invisible.  To erase their cultures, their religions, and their histories from memory. As the article says, these anti-CRT laws are memory laws.

Of course that is the liberal definition of anti-CRT, which does not touch upon the reasons many parents react so strongly to CRT being pushed in schools, especially in early childhood education.  To teach black elementary students that they cannot succeed because they are black and the white man will keep them down is wrong.  To teach white elementary students that they are evil because they are white is wrong.  To introduce transgenderism and sexual practice into early childhood education is wrong. This is what parents saw for the first time while home-schooling last summer, and it shocked them to the core.  There are enough enraged parents, right and left, that anti-CRT has become a national issue for the November elections.  It has nothing to do with erasing black or any other history; it has everything to do with teaching the appropriate material at the appropriate time and by the appropriate people.

I suggest that you watch the video in post #2, to see exactly what this controversey is actually all about.

NISSY (NISSY2)

Jan-6

Why don't you explain it.

I have been a Democrat for most of my life and I have met in person leaders like George McGovern and Morris Udall.

I was shocked by several city council democrats once who were friends wanting to do something for a black candidate not because of the views of the candidate but just because the candidate was black. They really didn't believe blacks were equal. They thought blacks were inferior and needed extra help. That is the problem with the left. They can be just as prejudiced as the right.

NISSY (NISSY2) said:

Why don't you explain it.

>> CCM friend Birtukan Feingold reads the words written by Ruby Bridges from the book, Ruby Bridges Goes to School: My True Story and published by Cartwheel Books. <<

I can't improve on the reading. I thought that Birtukan Feingold did a fine job reading it. If the Chicago Children's Museum thought that I could do a better job, they would have hired me to do the reading.

NISSY (NISSY2)

Jan-6

The reason I don't care for audio is that you can't take segments and copy and paste for further discussion.

The problem in my experience with critical race theory is it seems to assume that blacks are less able than whites and then blames the reduced ability on whites.

In my 76 years of breathing, I have found that blacks who want to improve themselves have been able to since the courts backed freedom of all after the civil rights movement.

To me, critical race theory looks like an excuse for some minorities for failing because they chose to have fun instead of studying.

I once lived across the street from Mission High in Fremont. The students there got top grades in the state of California. They were 92% Asians and their parents inspired them to study. The whites tended to party more. There were only a few blacks but they did well too but their parents were wealthy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mission_San_Jose_High_School

NISSY (NISSY2) said:

The reason I don't care for audio is that you can't take segments and copy and paste for further discussion.

It's actually a video, provided by the Chicago Children's Museum, so that we can all see exactly what this controversey is all about.

Did you watch it?

NISSY (NISSY2)

Jan-6

I didn't watch it. But I would be interested in the audio, not the video.
NISSY (NISSY2) said:

I didn't watch it. 

There's nothing wrong with ordinary ignorance. Ordinary ignorance can be cured by knowledge.

But willful ignorance and aggressive ignorance, which relies on antiintelectualknownothingism for its piwer, is a much tougher nut to crack.