Coalition of the Confused

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)

Confused malcontents swilling Chardonnay while awaiting the Zombie Apocalypse.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

A bit of UK Culture!   The U.K and Europe

Started 6/1/18 by PTG (anotherPTG); 9856 views.
In reply toRe: msg 79
Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Feb-13

bml00

Feb-13

Anybody that has been in a war has scars I am sure Big Ben represents all men and women who have seen war

BM 

RGoss99

Feb-18

Big Ben is neither a clock, nor a tower, it is simply the name of one of the bell that strikes the hour. I keep hearing tourists speaking of Big Ben, getting a selfi taken in front of it. I seriously doubt if any but a few select tourists have ever seen "Big Ben" because it is invisible from out side, so the most tat one could say is that the "Heard" Big Ben.

Aside: in many historic churches and buildings that have bell towers, the bells have names. In My university, St Andrews, the bell that tolls the hour is "Kate" for "Catherine". in my village here, the part of the bell tower housing the bell consists of three stories, which means we have the entire scale, and all the bells are named after saints.

One posible reason for the confusión is that in 1910 a U.S. company marketed the "Big Ben" alarm clock, which before clock radios was sort of the standard American alarm clock. Another American possiblity, is doorbell chimes advertised as the Westminister Chimes, copied in films, and many other church chimes throughout the English speaking world. In the chimes, Big Ben is the largest bell (thus "big" and its tone is between "me" and "fa" if we assume that "la" is 440.  

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Feb-19

Interesting post.

Thanks.