Coalition of the Confused

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)

Confused malcontents swilling Chardonnay while awaiting the Zombie Apocalypse.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Italy   The U.K and Europe

Started 8/15/18 by Jenifer (Zarknorph); 3975 views.
Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

MEDDLY

Aug-4

His brother recently passed away so he's next.

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Aug-13

I've been there!  Thanks for finding that!!

Edit - I could spend hours zooming in on every square centimetre of it!

And I plan to.

If you're a reader, a great find would be Irving Stone's "The Agony and The Ecstasy". 50 years ago my sister sent this to me when she found I was to be stationed in Italy. I've read it 6 times since then. It's a long, but captivating, biographical novel which covers the life of Michelangelo from being accepted very young as an art apprentice to his deathbed. The 2 1/4 hour Charleston Heston movie covers about 10% of the book.

You have to be "a reader", but, if you are you will not be able to put it down.

I was stationed in northern italy 67' to 69'. They built dam near the town of longarone with a tiny village at the base of it. In 66', when firenze flooded the rains caused half of the mountain beside the lake to slide into the lake. The dam actually held, but, the village at the base of the dam was destroyed and half of longarone was also. A half dozen engineers served long prison sentences for their role in that. A much better solution that simple civil penalties. Engineers are much more careful knowing the penalties. 

That's capitalism for you.

The facts belie that statement. Capitalism is most responsible for the dramatic reduction of severe poverty in the world in this past half century. This case is, most likely, one of incompetence and/or corruption.

You will pretend to work and we will pretend to pay you. What could possibly go wrong?

If not for stalin's treaty with hitler WWII might not have even started.

Oh, sorry, I just stated opinion based on facts, and not fantasy. Please accept my apologies.