Coalition of the Confused

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)

Confused malcontents swilling Chardonnay while awaiting the Zombie Apocalypse.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Archaeology News   Science

Started 11/11/18 by Jenifer (Zarknorph); 36591 views.
In reply toRe: msg 218
Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

May-29

BerrySteph

May-29

Jenifer (Zarknorph) said:

The blasting of cultural sites in the Pilbara is one of the worst destructions of an archaeological site in recent memory, according the chair of the United Nations' cultural property protection body.

I could have sworn it was the US did that.

RGoss99

May-29

Of course there is a real difference in motivation. The Islamic ignorant destruction is based on a religious belief where heaven is the motivation. However the Pilbara one is simply motivated by money. 

Two possibilities if there is a heaven and a hell.

The Muslims will go to their heaven, and the others to their hell.

BerrySteph

May-29

RGoss99 said:

Of course there is a real difference in motivation. The Islamic ignorant destruction is based on a religious belief where heaven is the motivation.

Well, sort of. The problem is that most of these jihadis are fairly ignorant of their faith and entirely divorced from their imams. A problem specific to Islam, as far as I can tell, when everyone is a Muslim and "conversion" only requires a declaration of loyalty.

If one aspires to be a Christian - or convert to Christianity, on the other hand, one would have to attend Bible classes for some months and form a bond with some kind of Christian mentor.

I appreciate the good and peaceful coexistence on your island and see no reason it shouldn't work almost everywhere (helped by there being no different dress I think you said?) . But this baptism/conversion business is a real problem.

RGoss99

May-29

Real problem, agreed, but especially with the low churches and the Christian rigth. But there i no particlar requirement that the high churches (Rc Pisky Presby Lutheran) or certain low churches (Congregational, Methodist, Quakers, etc.) require serious Bible classes. In both groups, many self identified members are simply born into them.  

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

May-30

BerrySteph said:

I could have sworn it was the US did that.

No.  Islamic State.

Destruction of cultural heritage by ISIL

bml00

May-30

FYI Islam takes from Judaism the law that forbids figures/ statues which represent GD

This is the root of this , Mosques , Synagogues can be ornate, Grand but they have no figures or representation of any deity .

BM

BerrySteph

May-30

RGoss99 said:

In both groups, many self identified members are simply born into them.  

There appears to be a problem with converts to Islam - I'm not saying that ISIS are composed of converts, but (perhaps independently?) it rather looks as if groups of Muslims have run amok in circumstances where Christians probably wouldn't.

eg Christians in Germany and Buddhists in Japan put up no organised resistance to occupation, however cruel and murderous.

BerrySteph

May-30

Jenifer (Zarknorph) said:

Destruction of cultural heritage by ISIL

Muslims had either protected or re-purposed ancient buildings - even churches - for 1400 years. In Palestine, they were considered more responsible and more fit to protect Churches than the Christians (which is odd, considering the Christians were the Middle Class).

Are you telling me that something happened to Islam in Iraq in 2003?

Or was it outsiders who, with malice aforethought, armed groups of Muslim criminals into death and destruction squads?

We can prove that it was these outsiders who took suicide bombing to Iraq, for instance, where there had never been anything like that.

RGoss99

May-30

Christians as individuals, I agree, but as institutions the result is the same - crusades, inquisition, persecutions, and current unjust wars supported by Christians.