Coalition of the Confused

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)

Confused malcontents swilling Chardonnay while awaiting the Zombie Apocalypse.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Cosmos   Science

Started 2/28/20 by PTG (anotherPTG); 3079 views.
In reply toRe: msg 20
NISSY (NISSY2)

10/29/21

Carl Sagan wrote a novel called Contact about the existence of worm holes to connect distant stars and galaxies. And there is Brane-String theory. https://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/10137
adwil

10/29/21

One of my interests. I was a mad astronomer when I was a teenager but sadly my math wasn't good enough to do a degree in it. However I keep my hand in by reading what I can in the field. There are a lot of theories about how the Universe is 'constructed'. How it looks is not how it is.

In reply toRe: msg 22
NISSY (NISSY2)

10/29/21

As a ten year old, astronomy was my first love and then I added other sciences. I still think gravity is the most curious force of all.

My math was great until calculus. I had difficulty grasping the f of x.

adwil

10/29/21

I sympathise. I can remember getting a Teach Yourself Calculus book from the local library. I gave up on it.

In reply toRe: msg 24
NISSY (NISSY2)

10/29/21

In the Seventh grade in Crisp county in the US state of Georgia, my teacher asked us all to figure out the velocity of the Earth around the sun knowing that the distance to the sun was 93 million miles and I was the only pupil who came up with the answer. My math skills were advanced for my age but then came calculus. Half of the students in my class in college failed including me while the calculus class taught by another teacher in another class had very few fail showing that the teacher of calculus means a lot.

I think there is a trick to learning calculus and I never understood the trick.

The Tom Hanks movie "Hidden Figures" had a black woman explain the trick was in reducing one side of an equation to zero.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK8xHq6dfAo

adwil

10/29/21

Enjoyed Geometry.

Algebra was a mystery but I didn't pay attention so that was my fault.

In reply toRe: msg 26
NISSY (NISSY2)

10/29/21

Algebra was very easy for me. Geometry was OK but I never got into the proving theorems part. It seemed like a waste of time. Geometry is the trainer for trigonometry which is fundamental for engineers. I come from a family of engineers.

My love in high school was really meteorology which has been my hobby most of my life.

adwil

10/29/21

Meteorology is interesting, but was especially so in my younger day when I used to camp in the hills. When I was past camping, I'd always check the forecasts before I went hill walking so I didn't get surprised by heavy rain or snow. Half the battle of hill walking outside of the summer months is wearing and carrying the right gear. Oh, and knowing when to abandon the walk and retreat to the nearest warm pub.

In reply toRe: msg 28
NISSY (NISSY2)

10/29/21

I have always been fascinated with meteorology and I am a bit of a climate skeptic. The planet has a lot of built in protections for preventing it from overheating.

There was more sea ice in the Arctic ten years ago than there is now.

http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/
adwil

10/29/21

I don't have any problem accepting that the climate is changing. Spring flowers are two or three weeks earlier and whilst heavy snowfalls still occur, they're much less frequent than  when I moved here in 1971.