Coalition of the Confused

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)

Confused malcontents swilling Chardonnay while awaiting the Zombie Apocalypse.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Cosmos   Science

Started 2/28/20 by PTG (anotherPTG); 3053 views.
adwil

10/30/21

It's easy to accept that climatically, things are changing. When Carlisle was badly flooded in 2005, we  were told this was a 1 in 200 years event. It happened again in 2015. Lots of flood prevention schemes have been paid for to try and make sure it doesn't happen again. In the last couple of days, a foot of rain has fallen, the railway line between Carlisle and Glasgow has been closed because bridges have been washed away. No doubt, what used to be rare 200 year events will now happen every 5 or 10 years because our climate is changing.

In reply toRe: msg 32
NISSY (NISSY2)

10/30/21

It is kind of the same story with the Columbus Day storm of 1962 in Northern California. We were told that it was a 500 year storm but the storm that hit last week was just as bad and with a lower barometric pressure center, 945 mb.

Meanwhile, I look out my window and across the street is the cove of a fjord. I have been told that twenty years ago, the water came over the road in an intense storm. Our tides are more influenced by barometric pressure than the sun and moon. When I see mud instead of water, it means a very high barometer.

But the water may never come over the road again because we have isostatic rebound left over from the ice age and the land is slowly rising. It is rising two meters per century on the Finnish islands of Ahvenenmaa. It is quite complex.

adwil

10/30/21

NISSY (NISSY2) said:

"isostatic rebound"

That's what's happening to the UK. The southern part of the UK is sinking whilst the North is either stable or rising.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-glacial_rebound

In reply toRe: msg 34
NISSY (NISSY2)

10/30/21

Isostatic rebound is strong in Scandinavia and Northern Canada, especially Hudson Bay and as the land comes up, it pushes water away and it rises in other places like the Maldives. It does make you think. At least it is now possible to raise potatoes in Greenland. https://www.potatopro.com/greenland/potato-statistics
adwil

10/30/21

I thought Greenland could grow potatoes because it was getting warmer. ( Like it was in the Middle Ages when it was settled. ) 

In reply toRe: msg 36
NISSY (NISSY2)

10/30/21

That was the point. Warming climes produces more food not only in Greenland but in Canada, Russia and Norway because of longer growing seasons. We just need more people who want more food.

On a side, Norwegian media reported recently that Russia is now producing premiums wines. Vineyards take five years to produce profitable grapes and wine and it has been eight years since the Ukraine related sanctions on Russia. Who was it who said be careful what you wish for?

adwil

10/30/21

"Norwegian media reported recently that Russia is now producing premiums wines."

I thought they always had produced large amounts of wine in Southern Russia.  (Rostov, Krasnodar, Volgograd, Dagestan and Stavropol.)

In reply toRe: msg 38
NISSY (NISSY2)

10/30/21

Previously, the good stuff was from Georgia but Russia is now making good stuff. Armenia makes a decent "cognac".

My cousin was given a bottle of Russian "champagne" on the train somewhere in Siberia by the staff because he showed them some American coins he had with him and one of them was a coin collector. He gave the coincollector about thirty US quarters that had state designations on the obverse. After a couple of hours, they knocked on his door with the bottle. It was the night before we arrived in Irkutsk. My cousin doesn't drink but we enjoyed his bottle.

adwil

10/30/21

Nice story. Like your cousin, I don't drink. 

In reply toRe: msg 40
NISSY (NISSY2)

10/30/21

My cousin lives in Durham, California half of the year and on the coast in the US state of Washington the other half. He and his partner joined us in Oslo for our rail trip from Moscow to Beijing and he and I played about eighty games of cribbage along the way. Our mothers were sisters.

The train from Irkutsk to Beijing didn't have a bar so I whined because I wanted to buy a bottle of vodka to celebrate leaving Russia. One of the stewardesses told me she would sell me a bottle of vodka which is illegal. She sold me a bottle of Genghis Khan vodka that wasn't Russian but Mongolian which we shared with the other travelers in our car. A police lady came by and told us to hide the bottle. Life on the steppes. :)

http://mongolianspirits.com/eng/