Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Confused malcontents swilling Chardonnay while awaiting the Zombie Apocalypse.
7268 messages in 177 discussions
Latest 3/17/21 by bml00
776 messages in 15 discussions
Latest May-27 by Lathyrus (PeePhobia)
5049 messages in 116 discussions
Latest May-26 by ElDotardo
Latest May-21 by NISSY (NISSY2)
Latest May-8 by NISSY (NISSY2)
1692 messages in 108 discussions
Latest May-2 by Lana (Redneckbab1)
Have you considered the Trump comb-over?
Apparently it's flawless and nobody ever makes fun of it.
Jenifer (Zarknorph) said...Apparently it's flawless and nobody ever makes fun of it.
Oh, it's flawed and everybody is making fun of it now. Haven't you see the video of him walking up the staircase into his plane, the wind blows his hair up in back, exposing that he is completely bald in back?
Sarcasm really is a nuance that often fails on the page.
Jenifer (Zarknorph) said:
Sarcasm really is a nuance that often fails on the page.
Same could be said for common sense.
The Syria conflict is a war that speaks to our age, breaking its borders and dragging in international powers.
It is a proxy war where Russia, Iran, Turkey, the United States and others draw battle lines to pursue their interests and compete for influence.
To the countries mired in the Syria conflict, we can now add North Korea.
The country that is now nuclear-armed and has the Asia-Pacific region on alert has been linked to the production of chemical weapons in Syria.
The United Nations has tracked the delivery of material used to produce chemical weapons from Pyongyang to Damascus.
The New York Times has revealed that the yet-to-be-published UN report claims North Korean missile technicians are working at chemical weapons and missile plants in Syria.
It isn't the first time these reports have surfaced. In 2012, the Times reported Israeli intelligence had extracted top secret information from the home of the head of the Syrian Atomic Energy Agency.
The report claimed the information included dozens of photographs of what Israel said was a "top-secret plutonium nuclear reactor".
The photographs also revealed "workers from North Korea"; the reactor had "many of the same engineering elements as the North Korean reactor in Yongbyon — a model that no one but the North Koreans had built in the past 35 years".
The US is concerned about links between North Korea and Iran; there is no hard evidence of nuclear ties, but last year CIA director Mike Pompeo told Fox News he was concerned Pyongyang could share its knowledge and technology and that "Iran would certainly be someone who would be willing to pay them for it".
The State Department monitors illicit arms shipments, seeking to block or deter them.
It appears World War III has already started.
United Nations investigators have accused the US-led coalition of breaking international law in an air strike on territory held by the Islamic State (IS) group near Raqqa in March last year.
The investigators, from the Independent International Commission of Inquiry on Syria, said the strike at al-Mansoura on the night of March 20 killed "at least 150" people, as US-backed forces closed in on Raqqa, the defacto capital of the so-called caliphate.
"The international coalition failed to take all feasible precautions to protect civilians and civilian objects, in violation of international humanitarian law," they said in a statement issued overnight in Geneva.
The strike was almost immediately controversial.
While the coalition said it had killed 30 IS members, local reports alleged there were a large number of civilian victims.
Subsequent investigations by the monitoring group, Airwars, as well as Human Rights Watch, backed those claims.
The coalition maintained its own investigations did not point to civilian casualties, but the UN investigators found the coalition's targeting team should have known a large number of civilians had taken shelter at the school.
In a conclusion that casts doubt on the way the coalition investigates reports of civilian casualties, the inquiry also found "the subsequent investigation conducted by the international coalition should have been able to identify the high number of civilian casualties resulting from this incident".
"The area … was liberated almost a year ago. The coalition has had every opportunity to go and do this kind of field work itself," Chris Woods, the director of Airwars, said.
"They look like they are not responding to credible reports of civilian harm."
The coalition did not respond to requests for comment.
The investigators also identified a likely Russian air strike at Aitarib on November 13 as another breach of international law.
The attack killed "at least 84 individuals including six women and five children," the investigators said.
"All information available indicates that a Russian fixed-wing aircraft that took off from Humaymim airbase conducted the strikes," the statement said.
While there was no evidence the Russians deliberately targeted civilians, the investigators say they used unguided or "dumb" bombs in a densely populated area.
"This attack may amount to the war crime of launching indiscriminate attacks resulting in death and injury to civilians," they said.
"As with the [US-led] coalition that has been pressed to investigate, the Russian authorities also ought to be investigating, now that we brought this to light," Commission member Hanny Megally said.
In their report covering the six months to January this year, the investigators tracked the Syrian Government's tightening siege of the rebel-held region of Ghouta, east of Damascus.
Even before the intense bombardment and ground attack which is now underway, the lack of food and medicine had led to acute malnutrition with several children dying of preventable diseases, including organ failure made worse by malnutrition.
The report documents cluster bomb attacks hitting schools and kindergartens.
Some of those injured in regular bombardments died because the few hospitals and clinics could not cope.
\In May, the Government all but banned medical evacuations.
Prior to that, the rebels imposed hardline Islamic rules, requiring women and girls who needed treatment to be accompanied by a male guardian.
Hundreds of people have been killed in air strikes in Ghouta since the UN Security Council, including Russia, which is the Syrian Government's most powerful ally, demanded a ceasefire more than a week ago.
Nearly 400,000 people have been besieged there for four years.
Government officials barred medical kits from a shipment of food and other supplies for 27,500 people on Monday.
Another shipment is scheduled for tomorrow.
But how much of it will get through to the victims and how much will be "confiscated"?
A Syrian rebel group has accused Government forces of launching a deadly chemical attack on civilians in a rebel-held town in Eastern Ghouta, and a medical relief organisation said 35 people had been killed in the area.
Syrian state media denied Government forces had launched any chemical attack and said rebels in the Eastern Ghouta town of Douma were in a state of collapse and spreading false news.
The US State Department said it was monitoring the situation and that Russia should be blamed if chemicals were used.
Reuters could not independently verify reports of a chemical attack.
The Syrian Government has recaptured nearly all of Eastern Ghouta from rebels in an offensive that began in February, leaving just Douma in the hands of an insurgent group, Jaish al-Islam.
Russian-backed Syrian government forces resumed the assault on Friday afternoon with heavy air strikes after days of calm.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said 11 people had died in Douma as a result of suffocation caused by the smoke from conventional weapons being dropped by the Government. It said a total of 70 people suffered breathing difficulties.
Rami Abdulrahman, the Observatory director, said he could not confirm if chemical weapons had been used.
Medical relief organisation Syrian American Medical Society (SAMS) said a chlorine bomb hit Douma hospital, killing six people, and a second attack with "mixed agents" including nerve agents had hit a nearby building.
Basel Termanini, the US-based vice president of SAMS, said the total death toll in the chemical attacks was 35.
"We are contacting the UN and the US Government and the European governments," he said by telephone.
The political official of Jaish al-Islam said the chemical attack had killed 100 people.