Coalition of the Confused

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)

Confused malcontents swilling Chardonnay while awaiting the Zombie Apocalypse.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Archaeology News   Science

Started 11/11/18 by Jenifer (Zarknorph); 36770 views.
Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Jun-25

I am in favour of the theory it is a calendar to mark the Winter Solstice.

Video: Winter Solstice 2018 Time From Stonehenge, How It's Celebrated

PTG (anotherPTG)

Jun-25

Throughout history there has ben a global tendency to build religious buildings on top of pre existing buildings but more grandiose. This new discovery may be the same.

adwil

Jun-25

Unfortunately we still don't know enough about Durrington Walls. It has been suggested that the massive pits once held timbers, like Woodhenge to the south, but until one of the pits is excavated we won't know.

adwil

Jun-25

Jenifer (Zarknorph) said:

I am in favour of the theory it is a calendar to mark the Winter Solstice.

The latest view is that Stonehenge and surrounds were designed off site. The following is interesting.

"Stonehenge derived its design from geometrical knowledge and features no less than six concentric polygons – a 56-sided outer one built around 2950BC; a regular octagon built around 2500BC) inside that; two concentric (though partly inaccurate) 30-sided polygons built around 1650BC, which were based on a series of hexagons; a 30-sided inner polygon (the sarsen stone ring which was built around 2500BC) also based on hexagonal geometry; and two probable 40-sided concentric polygons (probable former blue stone positions built around 2600BC) that were later modified to 30-sided ones. They also created the famous central stone "horseshoe" utilising the survey markers used to create the thirty-sided sarsen polygon."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/stonehenge-builders-had-geometry-skills-to-rival-pythagoras-834313.html

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

adwil

Jul-6

Do we judge Genghis Khan by our standards or by the standards and morals of his time? 

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

He never had standards or morals, as far as I know.

adwil

Jul-7

"He never had standards or morals, as far as I know."

All human societies have morals and standards, even though they're very different from our values today. Gengis Khan was shaped by his upbringing. 

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Jul-31