Coalition of the Confused

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)

Confused malcontents swilling Chardonnay while awaiting the Zombie Apocalypse.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Is it 2020 yet?   America - all of it

Started 11/19/18 by Jenifer (Zarknorph); 34694 views.
Di (amina046)

12/9/19

BerrySteph

12/9/19

Di (amina046) said:

NATO conference canceled after US ambassador Carla Sands blocks speaker critical of Trump Stanley Sloan said he was told the U.S. Embassy "vetoed my participation due to my critical evaluation of Trump's impact on transatlantic relations."

Wow.

NATO conference canceled after US ambassador Carla Sands blocks speaker critical of Trump

Dec 9, 2019 - A conference celebrating the 70th anniversary of NATO was canceled after the U.S. ambassador to Denmark, Carla Sands, objected to a speaker who has made statements critical of President Donald Trump, the Danish think tank co-sponsoring the event announced Sunday. 

Stanley Sloan, a former CIA analyst and author of "Defense of the West," had planned to deliver an address on the challenges facing the transatlantic alliance, and the West in general, at the conference, which was scheduled to take place Tuesday at the U.S. Embassy in Copenhagen. 

A day before Sloan left for Denmark, he said he was informed by the Danish Atlantic Council that the U.S. Embassy "vetoed my participation due to my critical evaluation of Trump's impact on transatlantic relations." 

"Stunned and concerned about my country," Sloan said in a tweet. 

The next day, the Danish Atlantic Council announced the conference had been canceled altogether. 

Di (amina046)

12/11/19

Msg 735.175 deleted
Harold27Z

12/13/19

Yes.  Plus a corresponding murder and violent crime rate.

BerrySteph

12/15/19

Jenifer (Zarknorph) said:

True.

Not sure why you're encouraging an old-fashioned racist.

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

12/16/19

Because it IS true.

Granted, the crime rate has fallen over the last 30 years, but there are problems.  Demographics play a part in making concentrated areas of high crime.

Crime in Washington, D.C.

BerrySteph

12/16/19

Jenifer (Zarknorph) said:

Because it IS true.

What, Harold's old fashioned genocidal racism is true?

Do you favour Holocaust II on the brown people and (possibly) WW3 on the yellow people?

RGoss99

12/17/19

Yes, an old story. One I remember was the Nicaraguan complaints to the world court involving the U.S. sponsorship of terrorism by the Contras. If hand I canthink of many others of the U.S. refusing to join a court it started because of what they considered their superior system of Justice. Taking a reverse position regarding the supposed rape case in Manrisa. We have very few jury trials in Spain, in fact I know of no one who ever served on a jury. The majority of cases are decided guilty, not guilty, ponishment by a panel ofjudges, often after the prosecution and defense have gotten togather in a friendly way and produced what is essentially a copped plea, so often all the panel has to decide is the extenuating corcumstances, context, before deciding on the punishment. Trials are also not normally held in front of a public audience. At a local level we have a "jutjat" who is elected by the counsul. He is then trained but not usually a lawyer. His only employee is a person with a law degree who has passed the bar. She advises him on the law, and his function is more like an adjudicator who attempts at concensus between the two sides. , the result is usually an attempt to rectify the problem, not unish.

I key phrase in the newspapeers, no matter at what level the case is dealt with, is "the person charged has agreed to the judicial decision" [a wise move because by not agreeing, the odds are that the alternative is usually worse].