autogun

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by autogun

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons, particularly in larger calibres (12.7+mm).

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Exploring The Design Space   Ammunition <20mm

Started 25/7/15 by NathanielF; 92655 views.
alexsoddy

2-Sep

For the 6x44 mm, what made you choose the 6mm Unified projectile ?

In what way is it superior to a scaled up 7N6(M) projectile ?

QuintusO

3-Sep

It's a bit like a scaled up 7N22 projectile. But I used it simply because I was playing around with it at the time. Far better bullets both I have designed since and have been manufactured commercially.

QuintusO

11-Sep

Meet Bearcat:

Here it is compared to its parent design, Archangel:

Bearcat can accommodate rounds about as long as 2.43", and case heads as wide as 0.473" at up to 75,000 PSI operating pressure (~85,000 PSI MAP).

Currently working on the magazine body for the 760 Bearcat, a reference round that performance-matches M80A1 using COTS projectiles:

The 760 Bearcat:

Despite producing 2,800 ft/s with a 130gr bullet from a 13" barrel, the Bearcat weighs just 4.78 lbs unloaded. Fully loaded with the following equipment, it is nearly a pound lighter than the combat weight of a current US Army configuration M4A1 Carbine (image of representative carbine after the specs):

Vortex Razor 1-10x24: 1.34375 lbs

Scalarworks 30mm mount: 0.3425 lbs

NGAL: 0.3 lbs

Brevis II Ultra: 0.46875 lbs

BFG Vickers sling (unpadded): 0.264375 lbs (0.120 kg)

QD mounts (2x): 0.119375 lbs (.0540 kg)

30 round Bearcat Magazine, U/L: 0.3969 lbs

30 rounds 7.62x41mm Bearcat composite case: 1.053108 lbs

• Edited 11 September 2020 15:03  by  QuintusO
Farmplinker

11-Sep

Will it be cheaper than a Wilson Combat 7.62x40?

QuintusO

11-Sep

It's designed to be pretty cheap. You can't know the exact price until you've quoted all your distributors and stuff, but WAG it's not unreasonable to expect a unit cost of $1700 per on the open market. Most parts are made of castings, extrusions, or injection molded polymer. The barrel's the most expensive part, I bet, since it's a composite steel-aluminum dealie.

nincomp

11-Sep

Gee! That is a big bullet!.  I measured it on my screen and it is about 100mm diameter! :0

Does anyone know a simple way to shrink the pictures down so screen-size?  I damn near get motion sickness from panning around the large image trying to see the whole thing.

Thanks

nincomp

11-Sep

Thanks! Much better.

tidusyuki

12-Sep

QuintusO said:

Most parts are made of castings, extrusions, or injection molded polymer.

By casting i assume you mean the receivers? why cast instead of hammer forged like a standard AR receiver?

QuintusO

12-Sep

No. The upper is made from an extrusion. The lower is injection molded nylon.

Both are cheaper than forging.