autogun

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by autogun

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons, particularly in larger calibres (12.7+mm).

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Exploring The Design Space   Ammunition <20mm

Started 25/7/15 by NathanielF; 100750 views.
Farmplinker

12-Sep

Hopefully it's cheaper than a Q Fix?

Red7272

12-Sep

Mr. T (MrT4) said:

I haven't commented on the design past the use of the rather beefy extrusion and separate handguard. The rest of my rant is in regards to questions about the AR15 design not being the ultimate design.

AR15 is a terrible design from the mag well to the bolt handle and the prissy bolt. Tavor is as close as anyone has got to the ultimate rifle to date. 

QuintusO

12-Sep

Red7272 said:

AR15 is a terrible design from the mag well to the bolt handle and the prissy bolt. Tavor is as close as anyone has got to the ultimate rifle to date. 

This really shows what you know.

Red7272

13-Sep

QuintusO said:

This really shows what you know.

I would have said the AK but everyone knows that a real man's penis will fall of if he touches a gun with the cocking handle on the right side. 

EmericD

13-Sep

QuintusO said:

Have you considered that the SCAR (which is made of cheap plastic and extrusions that require almost no post machining, and which sells for about $1100 on the military market last I checked) can't compete with more expensive forged guns LMTs, Colt Canadas, and HKs, and THAT'S why it's "boutique"?

Without some paperwork error from FN Herstal, the French army would have been equipped with FN SCAR-L to replace the FAMAS...

And we bought the SCAR-H PR to replace the FRF2 precision rifle.

Mr. T (MrT4)

13-Sep

In regards to Bren 2 i had some insights and hands-on experience into both early pre production models and couple of months ago with ones made for French GIGN in 7.62, I dont think SCAR was of much influence, the BREN2 was initially designed to be all plastic on both upper and lower  but one of the things Manufacturers learned from G36 is that once you get the metal parts hot plastic upper doesn't aid to shed heat any time soon  hence the redesgn for an aluminum upper. 

The 2 part upper /forend no HK in addition to offering the modularity helps a bit with keeping the heat of your handguard, These all-aluminum handguards without any plastic inserts get hot,i remember one of the test sessions with short barrel BREN2 and there were 20+ of us shooting 3-4 guns, the forends became so hot that you could barrel hold the gun without gloves and we weren't even doing any full auto  

tidusyuki

13-Sep

I really have no why they decided to go with 416. They could've decided to get the closest one to their ol' famas in terms of ergo and controls which is the VHS-2. Not to mention it's battleproven as it's been used in Afghanistan by croatian army. And don't get me started with bullpup vs conventional arguments because every rifle designs have their own pros and cons. Just like the endless argument about which is better between AR and AK. It's all about the operator and the training method.

Also i still have no information regarding why the Manufacture d'Armes de Saint-Étienne plant which made the FAMAS closed down? it's a shame they could've just made their own decent designs for example by changing the FAMAS into a gas operated instead of delayed blowback. I know it's possible.

Mr. T (MrT4)

13-Sep

VHS is designed for 2m tall soldiers 

tidusyuki

13-Sep

In extruded receiver designs, does the bolt carrier rides directly on the receiver wall or does it need some sort of additional steel railing in the interior for the bolt carrier to rides on?

Usually in an extruded receiver like the SCAR, ACR and BT APC you see some sets of screws.

Yet i don't see any on both the BREN and the 433.

Also how did the barrel mated in the 433? is there any sort of barrel block/trunnion molded directly inside the upper just like the old G36?
Looking at the receiver i don't see any sort of screws outside where the barrel extension is supposed to be like APC, SCAR and BREN

It is supposed to be a quick change barrel so i'm assuming the design is quite similar to the MCX. In the MCX to detach the barrel you just need to loosen a pair of screws that tighten the barrel in place.

• Edited 13 September 2020 10:38  by  tidusyuki
tidusyuki

13-Sep

lol but it has a retractable stock. Still it all depends on the rifle LOP and so far there's no info on what's the measurement of its shortest LOP which is when the stock is fully collapsed.